BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· JimWild
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for awhile to break back into the BMW world, today a 99 528i with 149K on the clock came available. $3500.00, would post the pic but websense has the site blocked.
Anyhow for the money it doesnt seem to bad to toy with something and get back in a BMW.
Has a check engine light, owner says he's saleing it for his brother and doesnt know what it is, not sure I believe him but I'm gonna go drive it and have Advanced Auto's check it out.
Any idea's out there on what to look at and for ?

· Registered
5,577 Posts
I don't like the "selling for my someone" stories.

manual or automatic?
Truth service records would be the most important for me. Even if they give you some records, check the date on some components to see if they match to the service records (which was not true in my case).
The date on the coolant expansion tank is easily visible. Any suspension work done in the past? Control arms, rear ball joints. Any vibration from 0 to 80 mph? Does the sunroof tilt?

Cheap fixes but lower the selling price: OFH gasket leak, loose shifter on manual (shift bushings)

· Registered
678 Posts
I'd get a pre-purcahse inspection done. I don't like buying cars with lights on, and "being sold for someone else" as well. Check to insure it has a clean title and use a carfax as a guide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.