BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems to have worked.

I tried 'traditional cleaning by taking it out and spraying cleaner in but due to sensor location inside the MAF itself the cleaning did NOT work. I ordered a 'cheapie' off Ebay and the car stumbled and no power 'ran like garbage' . Was getting ready to order a new one and did some reading and found the sensors 'rarely go bad and they are 'very robust' from Bosch. At this point didn't have much to lose, so figured why not?

Watched a few videos on youtube, read some posts and decided to take the 'factory' MAF apart. I got a razor knife small pick and small screwdriver and proceeded to disassemble the MAF. I have to admit it did 'take some doing' but I stuck with it until I got the cover 'off'. When I did I could see the sensor. Sprayed the sensor with CRC MAF cleaner, bused it with a small hobbyist paint brush, wiped with tissue, resprayed with MAF cleaner. put the cover back on with some epoxy. Waited one hour for the Epoxy to fully cure, reassembled it and wow, like magic the cars power is back, starts idles runs great...

Put together a short Video of how I did it...not sure how long it will last, but the fact is it is WAY better now than it has been...Will report back on longevity...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcVg_ijhE4Y&index=1&list=UU3PhGG1JRfHQXt0OsfqZ9HA

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
hell yes! Love these in depth videos! fantastic!

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
I think this is the first report I've seen of a MAF cleaning producing a successful result. Congratulations. It sounds like you were pretty thorough.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
decided to take the 'factory' MAF apart.
Wow.
This is a good one to cross reference to the threads found by typing /maf f3 in the bestlinks:
- MAF resistance testing (1) & a DIY for replacing your MAF (1) (2) (3) & cleaning your mass air flow sensor (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) and how 'not' to clean your MAF (1) & buying a replacement MAF cheaper than the BMW MAF (RangeRover MAF) (VW MAF) (Hyundai MAF)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.