BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I'm a newby, both to this forum and BMW. I recently bought a one owner '99 740I with only 60,000 miles. Couldn't be more pleased. A problem has occurred, however. The air conditioner blows cold, but only on the driver's side. On the passenger side there is no air flow at all. It doesn't blow cold, it doesn't blow hot - it doesn't blow at all. Happened suddenly with no warning. Seems to me like a fuse or relay controlling a flapper valve. Any suggestions on what to do?

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our E38 7 Series forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,993 Posts
Nice find:thumbup:

I only have a minute to post and a lot of typing so I'll just say "it's a good time to learn to search" and give you a hint: search for "flapper" or "HVAC" posts by Mayorchuck, IIRC there was someone recently with a very similar problem.

So a few good websites for noobs:
e38.org
Timm's meeknet
Seattle7's tip page
And the sometimes useful repair manuals are from Bentley's.

And for finding part numbers we have: realoem.

And after you have the part number, here are some places to buy parts (in no particular order):
ECSTuning
FCPEuro
bavauto
oembimmerparts
pelicanparts
...or you can click on the "Site Sponsors" link at the top of the page.

And there is even a bimmerfest member who made a little program (bmwpnpc) that will tell you who has a part in stock and how much they charge.

Welcome to the 'fest!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If it happened suddenly, I would check the lower actuators on both sides to see if someone kicked a plug loose. Might also check the recirculation filters. They have probably never been changed. If your setting is on recirculate or 'A' where it changes from recirc to fresh air, the passenger filter may be preventing air from getting thru on recirc. You will probably find an actuator problem though.

Look at the links in post #6 here:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2003822-Blower-motor-General-HVAC-info

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,993 Posts
Or with a little patience Mayorchuck will arrive and post the answer directly to you...

Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts