Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I purchased this car and drove it 400 miles back home I noticed the antenna fell off. I didn't see a way to screw on a new antenna so I removed the base for inspection and this is what I found (see pic)'

My question is can I buy a new cap and push the hanging wire into the new cap? Or do I have to buy a new base?

On Ebay I see several vendors selling bases what looks just like mine(with the hanging wire) so I'm presuming you can reuse the base but I wanted to check with you guys first ...

Thanks

Attachments

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,135 Posts
I would interested in seeing your eBay link(s). In the BMW parts system, the base and cap are one part number, so the cap can't be bought separately.
It is common for the tip of the cap to break off, but I have never seen the whole cap unscrewed from the base as you show.
The cap ends in a bulbous tip that pushes into the fender grommet and contains female threads for the antenna mast.
You need to order a new base and a new grommet.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852516

·
The Arkleyologist
588 Posts
The antenna grommets on these cars do go bad over time (become brittle and begin to disintegrate). Looks almost like someone got frustrated while trying to replace a defective grommet. Word of caution on these grommets, all the ones I have seen look like they have been shot "hot" in the injection mold machine during the manufacturing process....my guess would be this was a problem even when they left the factory. Might be prudent to purchase a couple of them and keep one in the glove box.

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,135 Posts
The antenna grommets on these cars do go bad over time (become brittle and begin to disintegrate)... Might be prudent to purchase a couple of them and keep one in the glove box.
My new grommet still looks new after 6 years. If there is a frequency of replacement, it is so long that I would keep a spare on the shelf with all the other spare parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts