Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, folks.

Just picked up this girl a week ago. She's a 2016 with almost 90K mi.

Now I've heard it many times not to own these out of warranty. Huge gaps in her carfax history and all.... but I was infatuated by her beauty. I guess this is how us guys get into trouble. :D

Anyway, she looks to have been well maintained at least. Hope she'll be good to me.

Glad to be here so I can soak up some knowledge. I know my way around vehicles for the most part, but this is my first BMW and under this hood looks damn strange. :D

..Drew...

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
Congrats! Alpine White always looks great.

·
Registered
193 Posts
2016 with 90k Miles, don’t expect much to break on it. Car was driven highway so this car broken in PROPERLY. Did you PPI before taking service? I tell people all the time. This biggest thing that will these cars is age, maintenance and neglect, miles if city driven. Highway driven miles is nothing to these cars. My 2013 328i xDrive F30 is approaching 130k, I’m a very happy person.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did you PPI before taking service? I tell people all the time.
Thanks for the replies. No, I did an API, lol. I knew better too, but It seemed in such good shape.... It spent most of it's life in South Georgia. I got it from a used car dealer and negotiated a 6 month drive-train warranty. Also got him to write in a 48 hour return with no questions asked, so I could look it over real good.

So far the only issue I've come across is that the oil/coolant temp gauge is really low, sometimes it hasn't budged after 15 minutes of driving, then it may rise if I get on the highway. The highest I've seen it get is around 210*. There no codes about running cold, etc and the car blows good heat, so I'm assuming it's the oil temp sensor and not the thermostat sticking open. What is normal temp on the gauge anway? This is the 4 cyl N20 engine.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Huge gaps in Carfax history? The oil temp gauge is much slower to respond than a coolant gauge would be. Still it should reach the first hash mark after driving in town for 20 min or so. Yours sounds normal.

Ignore the urban legend about out of warranty ownership. A BMW is as reliable as any of it's competition if maintenance is kept up and problems fixed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Huge gaps in Carfax history? The oil temp gauge is much slower to respond than a coolant gauge would be. Still it should reach the first hash mark after driving in town for 20 min or so. Yours sounds normal.

Ignore the urban legend about out of warranty ownership. A BMW is as reliable as any of it's competition if maintenance is kept up and problems fixed.
Yeah, Carfax showed pretty much nothing after like 50K. Prior to that it was going to a dealer, so I assume the last owner was the DIY type or the "not paying dealer prices type", for maintenance.

See temp gauge. This can't be normal.... I'm on the highway already.

This is the highest it gets. This was about 15 min after the first pic, getting off the highway.

Oh and the timing chain.. am I good here? Hopefully the guide situation was sorted out by then.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,054 Posts
This is the highest it gets. This was about 15 min after the first pic, getting off the highway.

That's OIL temp, not coolant temp.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's OIL temp, not coolant temp.
Yeah, I did say oil/coolant with the thought that the two are closely related through heat transfer. But yeah, I do realize it's the oil temp. Should the gauge be that low after 15-20 min of driving? Outside temp was around freezing at the time. I'm in Atlanta.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
That is oil temp and it takes quite a while to get up there. It’s calibrated differently than a coolant temp. Nothing abnormal.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,691 Posts
What the hell is a Bimma?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is oil temp and it takes quite a while to get up there. It’s calibrated differently than a coolant temp. Nothing abnormal.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Okay, so what is "up there?" What is "normal" temp on the gauge for you guys? Keep in mind, I'm totally unfamiliar here.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Okay, so what is "up there?" What is "normal" temp on the gauge for you guys? Keep in mind, I'm totally unfamiliar here.
Most of the time that is where it should be. Driving hard or in high temps with ac on will get it closer to 250.

Because it is measuring oil temp it won't heat as quickly as coolant. Because coolant is there to extract excess heat it surrounds the top and sides of the combustion chamber. And heats faster. Oil is there mostly to provide lubrication.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey, folks.

Just picked up this girl a week ago. She's a 2016 with almost 90K mi.

Now I've heard it many times not to own these out of warranty. Huge gaps in her carfax history and all.... but I was infatuated by her beauty. I guess this is how us guys get into trouble. :D

Anyway, she looks to have been well maintained at least. Hope she'll be good to me.

Glad to be here so I can soak up some knowledge. I know my way around vehicles for the most part, but this is my first BMW and under this hood looks damn strange. :D

..Drew...
Nooo, i am :nono this Halogen lights, haha. I have the same light setup, gawd they are hard to see in the nights, but hey if you want to replace the stock halogen DRL's get the LED type from HighPerformanceBulbs.com...I bought them and easy to replace, mine are the 3600k LED Ambers, i will try to get some pics up of them. And you should not drive in Eco mode, lurk the forum here or Google why it can lead to TC wear issues and the (ASS) Auto-Stop-Start feature as well turn that off...I never drive in Eco or ASS mode every now, no issues so far, but i have only 43K miles on my car currently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
we have the same car! my wife actually likes it because the seats are comfy. i'm a tall guy (6'1) and i have to put the seat wayyy back to feel comfy. what i like about it is that it's very responsive on the road, and i like when you pick sport mode the steeling wheel tights up and more power is thrown to the front (i assume). What i didn't realize until buying a BMW is that they consume oil like crazy. mine was asking for a quart in between oil changes. I took mine in for brake pad work (sensor was yelling at me to replace them) but the place that i bought the car from, or whomever did the previous maintenance work, didn't reset the sensor. The pad looked brand new. The shop said that it's a strong possibility that whomever did the work before didn't have the right software to reset the sensor. Also, they said that BMW doesn't resurface brakes. They just change them out (i thought that was weird).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most of the time that is where it should be. Driving hard or in high temps with ac on will get it closer to 250.

Because it is measuring oil temp it won't heat as quickly as coolant. Because coolant is there to extract excess heat it surrounds the top and sides of the combustion chamber. And heats faster. Oil is there mostly to provide lubrication.
Thanks for the info. It's taking a while to wrap my mind around it, but it's seeping in.

Nooo, i am :nono this Halogen lights, haha. I have the same light setup, gawd they are hard to see in the nights, but hey if you want to replace the stock halogen DRL's get the LED type from HighPerformanceBulbs.com...I bought them and easy to replace, mine are the 3600k LED Ambers, i will try to get some pics up of them. And you should not drive in Eco mode, lurk the forum here or Google why it can lead to TC wear issues and the (ASS) Auto-Stop-Start feature as well turn that off...I never drive in Eco or ASS mode every now, no issues so far, but i have only 43K miles on my car currently.
Thanks. Would you mind posting a link to the bulbs? I def want to get rid of the halogens. Haven't run across the eco mode issues you mentioned and I even tried searching. I do a lot of stop n go driving here in ATL and I do mean a LOT. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
could i get halogen's from pelican parts? or are those just replacement bulbs for the stock bulbs? i too find it hard to see at night. i'd love to be able to have bright ass halos

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What i didn't realize until buying a BMW is that they consume oil like crazy. mine was asking for a quart in between oil changes.
I've heard that too. Is that still the case for the N20? What is your oil change interval? If 10K miles, a quart consumed aint bad.

I have a real problem with there being no dipstick. I check my oil often and actually find it quicker and more convenient to quickly pull a dipstick, than to run that whole procedure. Furthermore, I like being able to actually SEE the color of the oil on the stick and smell it too. There are things that happen to oil that you need to see, such as when it turns milky if there is coolant leaking into it.

I took mine in for brake pad work (sensor was yelling at me to replace them) but the place that i bought the car from, or whomever did the previous maintenance work, didn't reset the sensor. The pad looked brand new. The shop said that it's a strong possibility that whomever did the work before didn't have the right software to reset the sensor. Also, they said that BMW doesn't resurface brakes. They just change them out (i thought that was weird).
Well, these days I don't think too many folks still surface brake rotors, I don't even on my older cars. For one, brake rotors can be had for cheaper these days, so resurfacing is not a good value. Secondly, when you remove surface material, you end up with a thinner rotor that heats up and warps even faster.

I didn't know about the brake sensor reset thing. Found some instructions here....nothing special needed...

https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/bmw-brake-light-service-reset-instructions

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's taking a while to wrap my mind around it, but it's seeping in.

Thanks. Would you mind posting a link to the bulbs? I def want to get rid of the halogens. Haven't run across the eco mode issues you mentioned and I even tried searching. I do a lot of stop n go driving here in ATL and I do mean a LOT. :D
Here is the link to the bulbs, make sure you reach out to Steve at HPB in the contact us and specifically ask if this part will fit onto your 2016, i know for the 2013's it definitely does. He will respond to you via email reply within a few days and ask if they will throw a code on the 6k bulbs, mine didn't but mine were not 6k.

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmw-f30-drl-pw24w-led-bulb-upgrades.html

1 - 20 of 32 Posts