BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1st BMW

1562 Views 18 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  kolian78
So I just purchased my first BMW a 2001 325i. Just wondering if anyone can tell me some things I should look into immediately or could be sure signs of a future problem or expense. Much appreciated
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
really all depends.. how many miles are on the car?
Cooling system, and sub-frame damage
More info in the e46 part of the wiki

Sent from my VM670 using Bimmer App
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46
So I just purchased my first BMW a 2001 325i. Just wondering if anyone can tell me some things I should look into immediately or could be sure signs of a future problem or expense. Much appreciated
It has 102000 on the clock runs smooth and sounds amazing apart from a few cosmetic imperfections that are easily justifiable for being 11 y/o the car seems like it will be a good daily driver
Brakes and suspension have been what i see first in mine. Cleaned rear speed sensors and now breaks are fine. I got this couple months ago, and there isn't anything exactly broken, but some ball joints in front are bit worn, and i'm also thinking of changing all shock absorbers and springs (going to lower bit). At first i was bit concerned, if there are any leaks in engine, but all liquids stay same level, so no worries in there.
if the fuel filter is still original i would replace that just for kicks, and reassurance... if it runs fine and your sure nothings wrong with the car, 93 octane, oil changes every 3k, depending on how you drive and take care of the car, brakes and tires and you should be set
:yikes:

Please share the source for this advice. OIl changing frequency has been beaten to death here and elsewhere and even the most anal owners seem to agree that 7,500 miles is a safe interval for synthetic oil. 3k is throwing money (and oil) down the toilet.
if the fuel filter is still original i would replace that just for kicks, and reassurance... if it runs fine and your sure nothings wrong with the car, 93 octane, oil changes every 3k, depending on how you drive and take care of the car, brakes and tires and you should be set
Thats what my parents do and That's just what I have been doing.. I guess you can go longer on synthetic oil I just never did.. And I change my own oil so the money isn't really much of a factor.. If the oil doesn't need changing I just put it back in hah
Most on here do their own changes and synthetic is expensive.

BMW says 15k miles between changes but most here go with 7,500.

If you drive 15k miles/yr, that means 2 oil changes instead of 5! Save your money (and time and effort) as synthetic has been shown to perform without degradation even beyond the 7,500 mile point. There are those that argue 15k miles is fine.

As for putting it back in....synthetic for some reason, seems to get dirty quicker than regular oil but it isn't indicitative of the state of the oil. Hard to judge if it needs changing by looking at it.
Thats what my parents do and That's just what I have been doing.. I guess you can go longer on synthetic oil I just never did.. And I change my own oil so the money isn't really much of a factor.. If the oil doesn't need changing I just put it back in hah
True that is a lot of money.. Thanks for the advice man!
Let`s see now....

Buy a car first, *then* start asking questions as to the reliability and maintainance of that car....what`s wrong with that picture ??? :p :tsk: :eek:
It's called "impulse" or "emotional" buying.

I'm sure you were guilty of it a few times in your youth. Age has caused you to forget your own transgressions.:angel:
Let`s see now....

Buy a car first, *then* start asking questions as to the reliability and maintainance of that car....what`s wrong with that picture ??? :p :tsk: :eek:
And I see I've met my first snob just cause you drive a BMW ( like all of us ) doesn't mean you gotta chime in some condesening remark. I've never owned a BMW so guess what I bought one, wanted to know what to look for and be suspicious of so I asked. Pretty simple right. Pretty sure the OP doesn't say if you are a douche chime in. K thanks bye
Hold your horses pilgrim :rofl:

Bob (assuming that is who your gripe is with) is quite capable of defending himself but for the record...he's not a snob, he's just a curmudgeon! Kind of like Walter Mathau on Grumpy Old Men but not as good looking.:stickpoke

He is a regular poster who has helped hundreds of less-informed Bimmer owners with numerous issues and problems.

A question as general as your's is impossible to answer without writing a novel - or a WIKI! Best thing for you to do is read through the WIKI at the top of the page and familiarise yourself with the common failure/maintenance items of these cars and then determine what priorities your car has.

Welcome aboard.
And I see I've met my first snob just cause you drive a BMW ( like all of us ) doesn't mean you gotta chime in some condesening remark. I've never owned a BMW so guess what I bought one, wanted to know what to look for and be suspicious of so I asked. Pretty simple right. Pretty sure the OP doesn't say if you are a douche chime in. K thanks bye
Lol.

Snob? It's an E46 for goodness sake, although the if there's one 3fer who could make me a snob, the ZHP would be it.
Examine the cooling system. A good writeup covering the E46's cooling system here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109
Bare essentials maintenance checklist: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=923563
At some point you'll need the refresh the suspension as well: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=932561

And peep kpeng's E46 maintenance guide: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=595553

Good luck and let us know if you run into trouble..
oh yes ,bob will help... :dunno:
Hold your horses pilgrim :rofl:

Bob (assuming that is who your gripe is with) is quite capable of defending himself but for the record...he's not a snob, he's just a curmudgeon! Kind of like Walter Mathau on Grumpy Old Men but not as good looking.:stickpoke

He is a regular poster who has helped hundreds of less-informed Bimmer owners with numerous issues and problems.

A question as general as your's is impossible to answer without writing a novel - or a WIKI! Best thing for you to do is read through the WIKI at the top of the page and familiarise yourself with the common failure/maintenance items of these cars and then determine what priorities your car has.

Welcome aboard.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.