BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· (aharding)ED #1 Sept 2012
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Picking up in Sept and after much reading and chatting with fellow bimmerfesters, here are our thoughts for our travel path.

Munich (Tuesday/Wednesday overnight)
Tuesday - Arrive Munich, check-in Le Meridian, Augersteiner for Dinner
Wednesday - BMW Welt Museum and Factory Tour, Marianplatz, Hoffbrauhause

Munich - Fussen (Thursday overnight)
Thursday AM - European Deliver at 9:10 am. (What time will we be out of here by?)
Thursday PM - Neuschwanstein Castle (photo op with the new 6er)
Overnight in Fussen (suggestions for places or other towns to stay in instead?)

Fussen - Como (Friday/Saturday overnight)
Friday AM - Look around in Fussen area or head to Como?
Friday PM - Arrive Como (need to find a hotel)
Saturday - Boat to Bellagio? Cruse around the lake.
Sunday - Como

Como - Cinque Terre/Portofino (Sunday/Monday overnight)
Sunday - Cinque Terre and/or Portofino (Can't decide if one night in each or stay put in one for two nights.
Monday - Hike to villages and boat ride.
Tuesday - Depart for Monaco

Portofino - Nice (Tuesday overnight)
Tuesday Noon - Look around Monaco on the way to Nice. Lunch somewhere?
Tuesday PM - Arrive Nice, Le Meridian Nice, turn in vehicle PM.

Nice Departure
Wednesday 7:30am - Depart Nice

Thoughts. Thanks!

· Registered
473 Posts
We just got back from our 6er ED a few weeks ago. Did Munich, Lauterbrunnen, Como, Florence and Nice. Read my write up.

Next time I would stay in Lauterbrunnen and Como the majority of the time. Then return the car in Munich. Florence and Nice we so-so.

601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have our plane tickets so Nice it is. We'll stay two nights in Como which is good. We won't be traveling that far west so we'll miss Lauterbrunnen. What did you like about Lauterbrunnen?

· Registered
473 Posts
Lauterbrunnen was the most beautiful place we visited. We took the train to the top of Jungfrau and it was amazing. The scenery and peacefulness in the valley made it so relaxing. Originally we weren't going to go there but it was our best decision. Personally I'd only do two nights in Munich. Take delivery of the car and hit the road to fussen. Spend a few hours there and head right to Lauterbrunnen. That's exactly what we did. Stay there three nights and then the drive to Como is beautiful and only 150 miles. Stay at Albergo Lenno in Como for three nights. Then Nice for two. Nice was okay but I wouldn't spend that much time there. Again, this is my $.02. Como and Lauterbrunnen were the best by far.

· Registered
107 Posts
Our trip is similar...depart Munich direct for Lauterbrunnen. Staying in Murren for two nights. Then, drive to Como via the Grimsel and Furka passes (I'm taking delivery of an M5, got to drive some twisties). Two nights in Bellagio, then off to finish our trip up in Ville Franche. Part of me is rethinking the latter part of the trip, seeing if I can add one more night to Lauterbrunnen and Como, and then drive back to Munich for departure. Hmmm....

· Registered
473 Posts
+1 on the twisties!

+1 on the extra night!

601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lauterbrunnen was the most beautiful place we visited. We took the train to the top of Jungfrau and it was amazing. The scenery and peacefulness in the valley made it so relaxing. Originally we weren't going to go there but it was our best decision. Personally I'd only do two nights in Munich. Take delivery of the car and hit the road to fussen. Spend a few hours there and head right to Lauterbrunnen. That's exactly what we did. Stay there three nights and then the drive to Como is beautiful and only 150 miles. Stay at Albergo Lenno in Como for three nights. Then Nice for two. Nice was okay but I wouldn't spend that much time there. Again, this is my $.02. Como and Lauterbrunnen were the best by far.
Will have to investigate Lauterbrunnen further. Sounds like you really, really enjoyed it. Cinque Terre looks really beautiful too but in a totally different way. Wish we could get away for three months!

· ///Multiple
4,586 Posts
Munich (Tuesday/Wednesday overnight)
Tuesday - Arrive Munich, check-in Le Meridian, Augersteiner for Dinner
Wednesday - BMW Welt Museum and Factory Tour, Marianplatz, Hoffbrauhause

Munich - Fussen (Thursday overnight)
Thursday AM - European Deliver at 9:10 am. (What time will we be out of here by?)
Thursday PM - Neuschwanstein Castle (photo op with the new 6er)
Overnight in Fussen (suggestions for places or other towns to stay in instead?)
To answer your specific questions, since you are spending an entire day at BMW Welt, the BMW Museum, and doing the Factory tour before you take delivery on your car at 9:10 the next morning you should be able to be out of there within 1.5-2 hours of taking delivery. But be sure that you have lunch in the Premium Lounge before you leave! If you get there around 8:00 you can also have breakfast before your delivery.

We stayed at Hotel Sonne in Fussen and were very satisfied. (Just don't try doing laundry with their washer and dryer or you'll be up all night waiting hours for that dryer to actually dry your clothes!)

Our trip also took us to Lauterbrunnen although we stayed in Murren for two nights and we also took the train to the Jungfraujoch. If we ever go back that way again, we will stay in Lauterbrunnen and the cable car to the Schilthorn. Everything in the Bernese Oberland is highly recommended!

601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are we able to use the premium lounge the day before delivery or only on the day?

We're thinking about Le Meridian, Beach Club in Monaco for one night but now thinking we'll just drive around, maybe stop for lunch and them the last night in Nice at the Holiday Inn on the water as it has shuttle service to the airport, about 5 minutes away. Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels.

Trying to see if we can work the trip up to the mountain, maybe we'll skip Cinque Terre and go there on another trip as the five villages can only be accessed via walking or the train, so not really a car vacation.

· Don't be a left lane hog
3,279 Posts
Trying to see if we can work the trip up to the mountain, maybe we'll skip Cinque Terre and go there on another trip as the five villages can only be accessed via walking or the train, so not really a car vacation.
Not so. There are roads that connect the 5 villages. You can drive to the villages and park (usually at the upper part of the town) at each of them. From my recollection some of those roads had little or no traffic, so spirited driving was possible, and the coastal view was nice as well.

601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not so. There are roads that connect the 5 villages. You can drive to the villages and park (usually at the upper part of the town) at each of them. From my recollection some of those roads had little or no traffic, so spirited driving was possible, and the coastal view was nice as well.
Wow, with limited time, it's really a difficult decision between Lauterbrunnen/Bernese Oberland and the cable car to the Schilthorn or Cinque Terra. Anyone done both, pros and cons to either? It's our first trip to either place so it's all new.

601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's nice to know, thanks!

601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How does St. Moritz compare to Lauterbrunnen? It's more of a straight shot between Fussen and Como. Any twisties on this path?

601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken? Anyone got pictures? Festers seem to like both places.

601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great site, thanks for the link!

601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Here's the updated itinerary.

Munich (Tuesday/Wednesday overnight) Le Meridien
Tuesday - Arrive Munich, Augersteiner for Dinner
Wednesday AM - BMW Welt Museum and Factory Tour
Wednesday PM - Marianplatz, Churches, Hoffbrauhause & Chinesischen Biergarten

Munich - Fussen [3hrs driving] (Thursday overnight) Villa Jaegerhaus
Thursday Noon - depart Welt, drive around Walchensee, Wallgau & Oberammergau
Thursday PM - Arrive Fussen, (Dinner)

Fussen - Stelvio - Milan [7hrs driving] (Friday overnight)
Friday AM - Neuschwanstein Castle (photo op with the new 6er)
Friday afternoon - Stelvio Pass!
Friday PM - Arrive Como (Boat to Bellagio, Dinner 6pm-9pm)
Friday PM - Arrive Westin Milan (9-10pm)

Milan - Florence [3hrs driving] (Saturday/Sunday overnight)
Saturday AM - Visit last supper mural (9:00am - 12:00pm tour)
Saturday Noon - Drive to Florence
Saturday Afternoon - Snack in Parma, Parma Ham & Cheese, Baguette? (Restricted driving zone?)
Saturday PM - Dinner in Florence
Sunday All Day - touring around Florence

Florence - Monaco [4.5 hrs driving] (Monday/Tuesday overnight)
Monday Noon - Drive to Portofino, lunch
Monday PM - Check in Le Meridien Beach Club, Monaco, dinner in Monte Carlo.
Tuesday AM - drive to Nice and look around on the way.
Tuesday PM - Return car in Nice, look around Eze and Nice, dinner in Nice

Nice Departure
Wednesday 7:30am - Depart Nice

Updated Itinerary

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.