BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard back from my CA and I have an official pick up date for my first ED and first BMW (MY17 340i xDrive estriol blue, M sport). I cannot adequately describe my excitement. I haven't been to Munich since my college days during Oktoberfest and my only clear memory of that trip was waking up in a train station with a skull splitting hangover! This trip will be with my wife and should be much more subdued but no less fun. That this trip is even happening is a story unto itself. Due to work commitments my vacation has to end by Aug. 16. Everything I read here left me thinking getting a MY17 in early August was a pipe dream. And while I can't pick up my car as early as I like, it is early enough to make this trip a reality.

Here is my itinerary. Please feel free to give me your feedback or add items in the towns I am staying in that shouldn't be missed. Your expertise is greatly appreciated! Also bear in mind, I only have my car for 6 days, so I am trying to pack in a lot in a short period of time.

Aug. 6th: arrive Munich. Bus/train to Garmish-Partenkirchen (G-P) stay with friend.
Aug. 7th: Garmish-Partenkirchen, day trip to Zugspitze
Aug. 8th: return to Munich
Aug. 9th: Munich
Aug. 10th: Pick up car at BMW Welt, drive to Varenna, IT
Aug. 11th: Varenna
Aug. 12th: drive to Bolzano, IT - stay night in Bolzano
Aug. 13th: drive to Halstatt, AU - stay night in Halstatt
Aug. 14th: drive to Berchtesgaden, D - stay night
Aug. 15th: drive to Munich, via Salzburg, drop off car Munich:cry:
Aug. 16th: fly home

Notes: the drive from Munich to Varenna is brutal (6hrs) as is the drive from Bolzano to Halstatt. Wish I had more time but it is what it is. I can't wait to get started!

·
Registered
222 Posts
like the literary, between halstatt and berchtesgaden I’d suggest stay in a hotel instead of two. I wont comment on driving distance as it’s matter of taste. reducing changing hotel can really help relax though

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congrats!!! I am awaiting confirmation on my dates 2 weeks after yours. How long did it take them to give you an answer about your date? did you get your first preference?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I can understand the temptation to drive your car all that you can while in Europe. But, even though it will be your second day with your car, I suggest that you see Lake Como by ferry. There are lots of pretty little towns (Varenna is one of them) beside the lake that are worth an hour or two. Your wife is certain to be tempted by the silks that are available in Bellagio. Also there are some palaces that you might enjoy touring. Most are readily visited from the ferry docks.

Many of the roads around the lake are very narrow and should be pretty busy in August. Not the place for driving a brand new BMW.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
like the literary, between halstatt and berchtesgaden I'd suggest stay in a hotel instead of two. I wont comment on driving distance as it's matter of taste. reducing changing hotel can really help relax though
Good suggestion. I was able to get a second night in Halstatt. I think we will just make that the base of operations for a couple of days and do trips from there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats!!! I am awaiting confirmation on my dates 2 weeks after yours. How long did it take them to give you an answer about your date? did you get your first preference?
I asked for a date earlier than Aug. 10 as my first choice, but I had been told by a CA that Aug. 10 was the earliest date available for MY17 340.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotcha, How many days from the submissions of the documents to BMWNA until you got a date confirmed?
My CA put in the request a couple of weeks ago but we were waiting on the order guide being released. When that came out, it was only a couple of business days until we got our date and pickup time confirmed. I deliberately used a CA with a lot of ED experience. That is key IMO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
like the literary, between halstatt and berchtesgaden I'd suggest stay in a hotel instead of two. I wont comment on driving distance as it's matter of taste. reducing changing hotel can really help relax though
I took your advice. We will stay two nights in Halstatt instead of one there and one in Berchtesgaden. We can still run a day trip to Salzburg if we want, only 1 hour away.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I took your advice. We will stay two nights in Halstatt instead of one there and one in Berchtesgaden. We can still run a day trip to Salzburg if we want, only 1 hour away.
yes. I highly recommend Salzburg. If you want to take the boat tour in Hallstatt/Berchtesgaden, do it early in the day. Salzburg is good for dinner, especially now daylight is longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts