BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove out to Pt. Mugu today to finally take some decent pics of my FANTASTIC new car!

Here are some random thoughts after about 275 miles:

The car is very solid, and rides quiet. The suspension is stiff, but I'm used to that since my daily driver is a Mitsu Evo 8. Most of my impressions will be in comparison to the Evo, which as most of you know, is universally praised as being a razor-sharp driving tool! I completely agree. Back to the M Coupe: I think it might be too stiff for some people, since it really is Evo-stiff. It's not quite as harsh as the Evo, but it is firm. I love it and wouldn't want it any other way!

The steering is quick, and requires attention. You can't just sit there and steer it with one finger for the most part. But this makes it fun to drive in the canyons. It feels a little more artificial than I would like, but just barely. I mean, it's ALMOST perfect. The Cayman S has a little bit more natural feel to it. But the M coupe steering is the best I've felt from BMW. I don't know why some reviews say it's heavy. It's not heavy at all. In fact at highway speeds, I think it could be heavier. But it's just right most of the time. It's very easy to get a feel for it.

The engine is fantastic! It's very smooth. 1st and 2nd gear wind up very quickly... I guess the car is geared for quick acceleration. :thumbup: I haven't gone over 5000rpm yet but I can tell it will be a quick car. The best part of it is the "little growl" from the exhaust that begins above 3000 rpm. I say "little" because it sounds like a little cheetah or something.. not a big snarling beast of a car. hehe. It does sound like a mean little thing though! It's really charming and I like it.

The clutch was VERY annoying the first few days, due to the clutch delay valve. I've gotten used to it... but I'm still planning on replacing it with a unit from Zeckhausen racing. Also, the feel of the clutch seems to "lighten" a bit the closer it gets to the floor (resistance is not progressive) The clutch is not heavy at all though, as some reviews have said.

The brakes are not as progressive as I'd like either, but like the clutch, I'm also getting used to them. The pedal seems to travel a bit with nothing happening, then they suddenly bite hard. I've adjusted my braking style. The brakes are REALLY GOOD... they stop hard! Very nice.

I don't have any issues with the stock Continental tires, but I haven't driven it that hard yet! I think an alignment is in order however. The rear end seems to dance a bit over bumps on the freeway... reminds me of my C5 Z06 Vette in that regard. Maxing out the camber on the Vette helped that.

I can tell this car is going to be very fun to drive... it already is, even though I'm not pushing it at all!

The Nav system and Bluetooth are great!!! It integrated my phonebook without me doing anything, from my Motorola E815/Verizon. Calls ring thru the stereo speakers and the mic is on the steering column. It's awesome to have this convenience. The Nav also has points of interest/restaurants/banks/gas stations.... it works great. I'm also pleased with the stereo that comes with the Premium package. Is it perfect? No. But it's probably the best I've ever had in a car. I have it on "concert hall" setting... I wish there were a few more options besides programming in your own DSP settings. I'll have to search bimmerfest for the best DSP settings. All the gadgets on this car are wonderful. I haven't had a car with gadgets in a while... and have never enjoyed nav or bluetooth integrated. It's AWESOME!!!

Oh and yes, it gets looks. Mainly from guys, especially car guys (the ones who are driving cool cars themselves.) I think the subdued color (interlagos blue) blends in a bit, and keeps it a bit stealth. ;) :angel:

Here are a few more pics and there are a ton of them at the link!

Santa Monica Mountains off Potrero Road:

More from Pt Mugu:

too many more pics:
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m83/HansDelbruck/M%20Coupe/

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Great score, buying that car from Nalley's. My wait is starting to drive me nuts (or more nuts, depending on whom you ask). Better keep that seagull away from the paint...:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beautiful car! Mine should be here in about 2-3 weeks Did you get the extended leather option? Do you think it's a "must have"? I think I still have time to add it...

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Get out there and put another 1000 miles on it. :) You're going to like the S54 a lot more once you can run it to redline.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cliff -- I agree. I just couldn't wait. I knew I didn't have the patience. :( Thankfully Adrian at Nalley was great to deal with. :bigpimp: The LA dealers are marking up their M coupes.

jk55 -- I don't have the extended leather. I don't think that option is as nice as it is on the M5's and M6's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but extended leather in the Z does not mean a leather dash with the nice stitching. I think there is some extra leather on the doors and in the center console between the seats. Not sure if that's worth it, unless you're getting a contrasting color like the Light Sepang. Then there is more leather to contrast with the black in the interior. Otherwise, I'd probably skip at now that I know. I might have ordered it myself, but I bought this car from dealer stock. I'm happy with the interior materials.

BMW makes great cars and I'm happy to be back in one!!!:D :D :D

Forgot to mention, I was surprised at how "snick snick" the shifter was. It's a little crunchy getting it into 1st, but the rest of the gears seem really smooth and the throws are not too long either. I'm happy with the car as-is, and don't plan any mods except for the CDV. :thumbup:

and you're right Daniel... I can't wait to wind the engine out. It's already fun!

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Hans Delbruck said:
Cliff -- I agree. I just couldn't wait. I knew I didn't have the patience. :( Thankfully Adrian at Nalley was great to deal with. :bigpimp: The LA dealers are marking up their M coupes.

jk55 -- I don't have the extended leather. I don't think that option is as nice as it is on the M5's and M6's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but extended leather in the Z does not mean a leather dash with the nice stitching. I think there is some extra leather on the doors and in the center console between the seats. Not sure if that's worth it, unless you're getting a contrasting color like the Light Sepang. Then there is more leather to contrast with the black in the interior. Otherwise, I'd probably skip at now that I know. I might have ordered it myself, but I bought this car from dealer stock. I'm happy with the interior materials.

BMW makes great cars and I'm happy to be back in one!!!:D :D :D

Forgot to mention, I was surprised at how "snick snick" the shifter was. It's a little crunchy getting it into 1st, but the rest of the gears seem really smooth and the throws are not too long either. I'm happy with the car as-is, and don't plan any mods except for the CDV. :thumbup:

and you're right Daniel... I can't wait to wind the engine out. It's already fun!
gawd that blue looks awesome
damn you guys and your sweet z4 coupes;)

·
Registered
942 Posts
congrats!

love the car...love the pics...enjoyed the write up too!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Beautiful car! Congrats!

Gosh, the more I see ///M pictures the more I want one! I should have just gone for the M. I would probably get killed now if I tried to trade in my 3.0si for an ///M...

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
I love it. Best wishes and happy motoring! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Very nice !!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Great pics of an awesome car, and a great write up too! :thumbup:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all! It is a great car and I feel very fortune to own the keys to this machine!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Fantastic! Beautiful pictures - Congratulations and thanks for sharing!! My car should be completed on Monday 7/24...now i just gotta' wait for delivery to Seattle - it's gonna' be a long few weeks!

Interlagos Blue/Black extended leather/Carbon/Nav

·
Registered
110 Posts
Now I really cant wait to get mine! Will post pics once I finally get mine in and glad to hear the nav is good and all the other fine points on driving aspects! The biggest bummer is i heard break in is to keep the revs down for 1200 miles ! Ouch that will be so hard but I will do it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
thanks for the write-up! those pics are amazing and so is the car, i bet!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts