BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently aquired a 2.8l short block off of a buddy of mine for the price of lunch from Wendy's. He pulled it out of a 528i that had a bad head and he didn't have any other use for it since he went the route of a complete junkyard motor replacement so now his old block is mine.

My plan is to pull out the rotating assembly, have the block cleaned, then install the guts from a 330 (with new bearings of course), find a head, maybe install a "hotter" cam, and then put the whole thing in my 00 323ci.

The downfall here however is that I've never done any mechanical work this serious before. I'm using this as a learning experience and as a way to get some more "go" for my car.

What I'd like to do is see if you guys can help me compile a list of all of the things I'll need to get to assemble this thing. I am willing to steal/reuse some electrical bits and sensors off of my old motor, however I'm trying to avoid cracking open the old one. So as far as like major mechanical things go (water/oil pumps, timing chains, gaskets, ect) I want new stuff.

I'll be actively reading this thread for the next few days however starting Thursday I'll be in Europe for two weeks so I won't be able to check in as often. I'll actually be visiting BMW headquarters on my trip which is kind of cool.

I'll eventually attach some pictures of the motor as to give you guys an idea of what I'm starting with. All help and advice is appreciated.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,184 Posts
Is that block steel, or aluminum ? Was it overheating that caused the head to go bad ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that block steel, or aluminum ? Was it overheating that caused the head to go bad ?
I'm pretty sure it's aluminum, and I can't remember for sure what he said was wrong with the head just that it was bad. I think it was something with the valves/valve springs but I know overheating is common with these so it might have been that.
I plan on having the block cleaned and checked for damage before I order any parts.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,184 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's aluminum, and I can't remember for sure what he said was wrong with the head just that it was bad. I think it was something with the valves/valve springs but I know overheating is common with these so it might have been that.
I plan on having the block cleaned and checked for damage before I order any parts.
Cleaning & checking the block is always a good idea, but unfortunately, it won`t tell you if the block has annealed, softening the aluminum to the point where the head bolts cannot be torqued down adequately. It`s a bitch when you spend time & money on a rebuild, only to find out at the reassembly stage that you have a bad block....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It`s a bitch when you spend time & money on a rebuild, only to find out at the reassembly stage that you have a bad block....
Well I only paid $22.17 for this block so worst case scenario I'll just source out another one. I would still like to compile a list because I'll want to do a Stroker motor either way. It's just a matter of if my block is good or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts