BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car currently has 5,400 miles on it. When I park even at the slightest incline or decline,
the vehicle moves another inch after positioning park and engaging the parking brake.
It gets pretty annoying and it happens everytime.

The other problem is with the park assist. When the car was new, I use to park it in my garage and the park distance control would tell me how far away I was from my wall. About 2 months ago, it stopped doing that. When I reverse or pull in, it just chimes contstantly and shows full red as if there is an invisible wall. Now this happens only as soon as I enter the proximity of my garage. I looked for any magnetic or anything that would cause it, but I have not changed anything in the garage.

Hmmmmmm?:dunno::dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 06 also moves after parking. Engage Park, engage the parking brake, everything is fine. Turn off the motor, the car rolls slightly. I just assumed it was normal...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I think all of them roll after parking on an incline or decline, as far as the PDC, it also senses the corners so if you park in your garage and there is clutter to your sides it will beep. Sometimes the PDC could be faulty as well so keep that as your last option and take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
i got the same problem with car occasionaly moving an inch after engaging park on an incline/decline. pretty annoying. my car never did this up until about 2 months ago.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
All 7's move about an inch when the e brake is activated. Park assist can be manually turned off. Press the PDC button pn the right of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
^^^also depends on grade of incline.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Does it still move if you engage the parking brake first then put in P?
+1, press the brake pedal real firm, push it deep comfortably (don't break it), then engage the E brake, and then push P, might help!

Trust me, even my 325ci moves a little after engaging parking brake on a steep incline or decline.

·
Registered
766 Posts
^^^also depends on grade of incline.
Absolutely, I haven't seen a single car that doesn't move a little on a steep grade. I think we are being overly sensitive about our refined autos.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mustaine .. you are correct but when u know u got a prized possession everything scares you.. haha just like when you heard ur kid cough hard for the first time lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this one does it on the slightest incline. like my driveway.

The pdc is sensing something invisible, like a magetic field. I would turn it off but i also need it to work.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
All 7's move about an inch when the e brake is activated. Park assist can be manually turned off. Press the PDC button pn the right of the steering wheel.
im not convinced this 1" slip is normal mainly because it just started happening recently. to me, seems like somethings not quite right. besides it only happens quarter of the time. certainly not enough of a problem for me to visit the dealer again....even if my car is under warranty.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
PDC picks up directly behind and to the sides as well. is there anything to the left/right @ the rear? Are you parking closer to the wall?:eeps:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
You very well could be right, as you've had your car longer than me. I've had mine since Feb. I only use mine w/ I go by the in-laws, because their driveway is quite steep. But I also based it on my wifes 330i, albeit a manual & my old M3. They both give/gave about 1/2"-1"

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
something (leaf or debris) could be stuck in the crack of one of the parking sensors. maybe get in their with a fine detail brush and clean them out.:dunno:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Mustaine .. you are correct but when u know u got a prized possession everything scares you.. haha just like when you heard ur kid cough hard for the first time lol
True, true. We read so much negative stuff here and elsewhere, and then we are like checking our 7's with stethoscopes, Ooo what noise was that, No I heard a click this time, Nah that some bird dancing on a tin roof.

·
Registered
238 Posts
hi guys, I think the moving after parking is from the fact that the Electronic parking brake works on all 4 wheels, and after you turn off the ignition, it only holds the rear brakes. (I think I read it in the manual), so depending how the suspension is sprung when you engage the parking brake, the car may move a bit.

Parking assist is done with sound waves (sonar) and can be effected by water, dirt or snow. Make sure they are clean, and if the problem still persisits you probably need a new sensor.

Don

·
bmw addiction
7,153 Posts
if you follow the steps posted below the car will still roll a little but it wont make the clunk sound when you put the car into drive.
1. put the transmission in N
2. put the E brake on
3. put the transmission in P

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PDC picks up directly behind and to the sides as well. is there anything to the left/right @ the rear? Are you parking closer to the wall?:eeps:
The pdc goes on full red as soon as I reverse into the garage, with nothing around in a 10 foot radius.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
As Diz stated, it may be something in the sensor-debris/leaf or there is a fault in the sensor itself. Does it only happen in your garage or everytime you put your car in reverse?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts