BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wifes 97 M is having to issues:

The computer is saying that the coolant is low after she drives to work which is about a 10 min drive she lets the car warm up for 15 min prior to leaving to work, I added about 1/8 gallon of water the other day and she is still getting the computer bitching at her. Im convinced its just a sensor as the coolant level is fine, or maybe a thermostat but im sure its a sensor.

Anyone else have anyother thoughts?

The other issue is upon start up the car will idle normaly then jump to about 1500-2000rpms and then idle rough. Im thinking maybe spark plugs, fuel filter, or maybe some coils packs.

once again any ideas

·
Really Senior Moments
497 Posts
1.) Is the coolant level ok? No sense adding water (hopefully distilled) if it's not low. If it is fine,it's the sensor in the expansion tank or the contacts for the sensor.

2.) Tell the wife NOT to let the car warm up for 15 mins. It will really cause excessive wear in the engine. Start the car,. let the idle stabilize, then drive away. BMW puts that info in the owners manual for a reason.

3.) For the erratic idle, clean the idle control valve.

·
FixItFaster
1,936 Posts
1.) is the coolant level ok? No sense adding water (hopefully distilled) if it's not low. If it is fine,it's the sensor in the expansion tank or the contacts for the sensor.

2.) tell the wife not to let the car warm up for 15 mins. It will really cause excessive wear in the engine. Start the car,. Let the idle stabilize, then drive away. Bmw puts that info in the owners manual for a reason.

3.) for the erratic idle, clean the idle control valve.
+1

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
You will get a low coolant level caused by:
Putting water in the expansion tank with too much water in there. It measure not only level but viscosity too
Low level in the expansion tank
Gunked up level sensor (pull sensor and clean it)

I have had the last two happen to me but the first one was something that I read about from a post regarding a member using distilled water and never getting the coolant low message to clear

I agree that letting the engine idle more than a minute is not good for your car and it is normal for a high idle when cold out until the engine warms...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts