BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1.
Looking for the part # for the antenna cable that runs from shark fin to the center console. The connectors should be male FAKRA to male FAKRA.

#2.
Need to repin the connectors in the attached picture. Pin #5 and Pin #8 need to be swapped.

Any idea how to do this?

Attachments

· Registered
7,065 Posts
1. Someone with a parts cd could give you the correct number
or you could use the current coax cable in your 01 with mini uhf to FAKRA adapters
or buy a commercial FAKRA cable from Digikey, Pasternak, etc.
or build your own with FAKRAs or the adapters and coax cable

2. There is a metal tab which holds the pin in. You can see the tab in Pic 2. Normally there is a plastic tang that can be pried back with a small screwdriver or awl which will release the tab or push on the metal tab to release. Then pull on the wire and it will come out.

· Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ObD said:
1. Someone with a parts cd could give you the correct number
or you could use the current coax cable in your 01 with mini uhf to FAKRA adapters
or buy a commercial FAKRA cable from Digikey, Pasternak, etc.
or build your own with FAKRAs or the adapters and coax cable

2. There is a metal tab which holds the pin in. You can see the tab in Pic 2. Normally there is a plastic tang that can be pried back with a small screwdriver or awl which will release the tab or push on the metal tab to release. Then pull on the wire and it will come out.
Thanks! I would have used the mini-UHF coax connections... if my car had an antenna cable already wired (it doesn't)... So, I guess I just need to be a FAKRA cable.

Are there different types of Fakra cables? Do I need a FAKRA coax cable?

I managed to get the pins out, thanks! Of course my snap-in still doesnt work, but at least I know how to change them now!

· Registered
7,065 Posts
sna77 said:
Are there different types of Fakra cables? Do I need a FAKRA coax cable?
The cable is an RF cable. Any RF or coax cable should do as long as it will handle the cellular signal spec. The FAKRA is just a mini push on connector. The plastic cover is just a key. Take off the plastic cover and it's unkeyed.

I think in my 02 the coax is just RG-58. Common cable coax. Add a couple of adapters to FAKRA and you're done. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.