BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I have a 1992 518 M40 (79950 kms) and there are two questions really itching;

1. I do not know about the fuel consumption of the car as I am still new toit and using it the way I got it (here in France cars have to be inspected regularly and before sale so it was/is in good condition), back to my question I do not know if the Rev meter-RPM is normal (see attached picture I took when I was driving back home 630kms from where I purchased it from, the car does not overheat or anything. Is there anything wrong maybe it's consuming a lot of fuel with the high Revs?.
2. I see 'cheap',performance chips on ebay for example.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tuningchip-f...hash=item58cc0e94bc:m:mk6VUuCUQN0sALdCWA58cJQ
These are not the Dinan chips which many people have talked about here so my other question is, will these chips have any negative effect on the engine as they are used to increase hp and save on fuel consumption.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think your RPM is higher because your car has the 1.8 liter engine, although I'm not entirely sure. Do you hear a lot of engine noise when you're driving at 140km/h? My car hits around 3000-3500 at 140 to 160.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aliff yes I bet that is the reason...I got same reply from another forum and at 140 I could hear all the pistons screaming hehe but the sound is nice...For now I drive it slowly I don't pass 100 because at 110 I am at 3000 rpms it is working extra hard due to small engine, bigger engines like yours are good at high speeds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts