BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres the deal...I got a 2000 528i that has been sitting in my driveway for 2 years...yea i know...terrible...but anyways I just totaled my Honda civic so its time to get the bimmer on the road. So I had broken the master key for the Bmw like 2 years ago...(which is basically why nothing has been done with the car.) soi just ordered and picked up a new one from the dealer the other day. Now there was probably about 4-5 gallons of 2 year old gas still in the car, so i added about 3-4 gallons of super premium gas 93 octane, as well as a quart of dry gas. I made sure the battery was charged by jumping it and then i tried out the new key! All the lights and everything came on and then when i tried to start it...it turned over, and over...and just kept turning over but the engine did not start. I am basically left with just towing the car to a BMW dealership or something and having them diagnose the problem because I do not know what else could be the problem. If any one has any ideas they would be much appreciated! Sorry for the long post, I just want the get that bad boy started. Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Wait***8230;you had a BMW in your driveway and didn't even store it properly and drove a Honda instead? :yikes:

I suspect that the fuel in the lines and injectors got gummy. Modern fuel is a lot more volatile than fuel from 40 years ago and needs to be stabilized if you don't drain the system fully before storage.

Could be too that the key isn't initialized properly, and the ignition interlock is locking you out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You had... a Bmw and you drove a Honda.. im going to cry.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
for the what***8230;.$100 for the key?

Further to my previous post, probably needs a fuel system cleaning***8230;.if the key is definitely set up properly, you probably will need it towed. Indy is better than a Stealer

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
My grandfather's 540 has the hi dash and has the ability to lock the car out with a code in the OBC panel. If you don't enter it it just turns over. Tell the dealer the car won't start with the new key. I know that Ford dealers have been known to take hours to get a key to work, but then, that's a Ford.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thanks for the posts...It really wasn't my choice to drive a Honda lol...but anyways, i would have to say there is the possibility that fuel just isn't going through the system properly...but just so you understand more about the situation, the car was running perfectly fine 2 years ago, but one day the battery died because we forgot to unplug the battery before vacation. So anyways we tried to jump the car from the front of the car, but that didn't work, battery was probably old and was just totally dead. So in order to get the battery out of the trunk the only way we knew how was to use the key...which snapped in the trunk. We managed to get it out, but since then, the car has never been run. So i guess a question to ask is, in the process of jumping the car, could anything possibly getting fried? That seems unlikely but im also not sure if anything should have to be reprogrammed in terms of the car keys, when a battery is taken out? Thanks for the advice guys, I do feel like the keys are the root of the problem, and yea BMW noob13, the key was actually like $170. And by initialized you mean the chip being programmed for the car right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
sorry you beat me to the post...In my case, I would have tried to find out 2 things...1 if the gas was getting to the cylinder or if spark was getting to the cylinder...

the gas pump, if you are sure that is the problem is under your car seat in the rear....at least on e46?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea thanks graduate, Gonna have someone my father knows change the filter and then make sure the pump needs to be changed before doing it. Thanks for the help guys:thumbup: hope i can get the car running asap, ill post pics when i do!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Definitely dude, a series of unfortunate events also comes unfortunate endings, get that sh!t running dude! :thumbup:

·
Registered
15,460 Posts
Why don't you change the fuel filter first?
Under driver seat (undercarriage, hidden by plastic shield).
Search for the DIY.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
February was a long time ago.

mw

·
Certified Public Assassin
436 Posts
I doubt this 4 poster is going to be back anytime soon...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts