BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will pick up our ED 328xi on June 20th but we did not make up our mind yet whether to go with a 2 year or 3 year lease or purchase the car outright.
We are locked into the April lease rates.
My question is now whether a 2 or a 3 year lease makes financially more sense. On a 2 year lease (10k per year) the payment is around 470$ and on a 3 year lease (10k per year) it is around 480$ per month including tax.
But now is where the tricky part starts. You don't have the car for a while (around 6 weeks I assume) so if you release again after 2 years you really need to pay for 6 more weeks of not having a car.
Also with 20k in 2 years would I need to buy new tires (I assume with 30k I would).
What is the result of some of your calculations when you compared 2 vs. 3 years and why did you pick either one ?
I go for work to Europe every 6-8 weeks so for me the flight costs are really not an issue. This time we go with the family and get the advantage of having the car as a free rental but that probably won't be the case on the next trip.
I do have family in Bavaria though so I can always use the car for 2-3 days and visit them and then drop it in Munich.
Thanks for all your answers

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
I like picking up a new car every year or every two at the most so that´s one important consideration for me right there (I´m regularly in Germany and Austria so it´s more a question of my habituation to picking up new BMWs than to the trip).

With a two-year lease, you probably won´t need tires (three-year lease is borderline) plus you will get the $1000 check from BMW as a BMW CCA member reward each time you get a car.

On the other hand, given price increases and such, the next lease will be more expensive regardless of when it commences.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I chose a 3 year lease when I picked up my 328ixT '08 in November. The reason turned on what you mentioned as the 6-12 weeks that you won't have a car - for me it was 10 days with the car in Europe and the 4 weeks BMW paid for it. But, I didn't get the car for 12 full weeks - I'd hate to factor that into the equation every two years. However, what weighed on my decision was that I was told there would be a model change every three years and the '08 was a new model year, so if I took it for two years I'd be getting the same model in '10 for another two to three years. Made sense then.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I opted for the 2year lease due to the fact that run flats for the 225xi will run me nearly $1500.....

That's a lot to swallow when it would be right around the time I turn the car back in.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies. Unfortunately I didn't know about CCA and the advantages until I joined the forum here :-(.
I am planning to join soon for the next car and I just saw that they have a membership drive and if I get referenced you can get a free month.
I would use whomever wants to reference me and sends me the first PM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts