BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought some rims from a friend and put them on my car about a month ago, its hard to believe they fit but they do, im worried though because the rims and tires wheigh double the amount of the stock ones, is it going to be bad on any parts, or can the car handle the big heavy rims?

·
Paraglide! Walk on air!
1,260 Posts
I can't remember exactly, but I think every 1 pound of added weight while standing still translates into 4 pounds of weight while your wheels are spinning. With those 20" wheels you will feel like you are dragging 4 boat anchors with you. And it can potentially shorten the life of your suspension parts and cause damage.

Also from an aesthetic point of view, in my humble opinion, they will look ridiculously out of place on your e46.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,205 Posts
Also from an aesthetic point of view, in my humble opinion, they will look ridiculously out of place on your e46.
True....with 20s, you must repaint your car, with a "Barnum & Bailey`s Circus" logo on the sides, along with clowns, balloons, etc.

·
Paraglide! Walk on air!
1,260 Posts
True....with 20s, you must repaint your car, with a "Barnum & Bailey`s Circus" logo on the sides, along with clowns, balloons, etc.
LOL! I was thinking Gravedigger!

Or....

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,208 Posts
The system that will suffer worst is probably your gas mileage. Get ready for that to go down!

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
20s aren't so bad as long as the offset is right.
Although the biggest I'd go on my car would be 19"s. Not even the chrome king would do 20"s :p
Unlesss I had a 5 series... or a 7series then I'd do like 24"s

·
Keeping it surreal
43,205 Posts
Not even the chrome kind would do 20"s :p
Unlesss I had a 5 series... or a 7series then I'd do like 24"s
Had a dream about you, Mal....you were the only Amish kid in Pennsylvania with chrome wheels on his horse-drawn buggy....(and you had your big Amish hat on backwards :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
20" rims are very big and will do a number to your car. Everything that was mentioned above is going to happen in some shape or form. You would be better off with 18" rims because the weight of the 20" rims is going to be the worst part about them.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,205 Posts
As I`ve stated before....

The downside of bigger wheels is twofold...it`s not just the increased weight, but also the fact that the added weight is displaced farther out from the center of the circle, causing a greater gyroscopic effect, which makes the wheels significantly more resistant to acceleration, braking and turning forces, as well as having a negative effect on your suspension recovering from compression & rebound motion....i.e., it makes *everything* more sluggish....(but they DO look cool :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol i like the last post best, but i may switch back to my stock ones and use the rims on another vehichle. thanks for your input everyone

·
Registered
466 Posts
The black BMW has 19's and the blue one has 20's.... I would go with 19's.. And I still think that is pushing it because my car has 18's on it and the ride is horrible...I had the CAB's replaced a month before I put the wheels on and the steering was nice and tight and when I hit bumps and pot holes, it wasn't that harsh with the factory wheels... the ride is still ok with the 18's but there is a slight shake in the steering wheel at low speeds about 20-40 mph and at freeway speeds there is a little shaking...And when I go over bumps it just feels very harsh... I can only imagine how much harsher the ride will be and the effect it would have on my car's suspension if I had 19's or 20's on my car....

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts