Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Researching my summer setup (I know, it's not even winter yet!).

Currently running one-size up for winter tires: 245/45/19 all around on the stock 19" wheels (stock tires are 245/40/19). This fills in the wheel gap a bit and raises ride height to clear snow.

Has anyone has run this "one-size up" on 20's - namely, 245/40/20 fronts & 285/35/20 rears?

I don't want to mess with the stock suspension (no lowering), but filling the wheel gap with bigger tires would be nice. Maybe it's a horrible idea?

Failing that, I would just go with stock size 19's and my question would be what is a decent wheel width/offset and tire size to be a bit more aggressive than stock without any chance of rubbing?

Thanks as always! :)

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
I don't think you can cause a 7 to 10% difference in tire speed. You would need to calculate the tire diameter to stay inside the tolerance allowed. I could be wrong on the percentage number, but there is one?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HerbP!

It is about a 3.5% difference from stock.

To be more clear/specific, I attached two pics - one of my car with the stock 245/40/19 and one with my winter 245/45/19. The latter fills the wheel gap a bit more and also raises the height slightly.

If I go with plus-size 20" in the summer (say 245/40/20 fronts) it will be the same wheel gap and ride height as the second picture, but with a higher "wheel-to-tire ratio" since it will be bigger wheels (20" vs. 19") and shorter tires (40 vs. 45).

Wondering if anyone has done this and how it looks?

The other benefit is higher profile tires give a softer ride and protect from potholes, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did a little photo-shopping...

First pic is my current 19" with 245/45/19 (one size higher than OEM) tires.

Second pic is what it would look like with 20" keeping the same overall diameter - i.e. 245/40/20 fronts and 275/35/20 rears.

I think it looks decent and ticks all the boxes:

- Maintain the reduced wheel gap
- No lowering required
- 40 profile looks good (not like 20" with 35 profile and stock suspension which looks "weird")
- Better ride-quality than 35 profile
- 1cm higher ride height to clear parking blocks, curbs, etc.
- Doesn't look like a monster-truck (I think?)

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ah, yes, with coilovers I would go with OEM tire sizes, but I'm trying to avoid lowering the car while still reducing the wheel gap. I did this on my 530xi without any issues (pic attached).

I just put one-size up tires - i.e. on the 530xi, stock was 245/35/19 front & 275/30/19 rear and I went to 245/40/19 front & 275/35/19 rear. (pic attached)

My 650i has 50km on it so the suspension is still relatively new and I would hate to waste it by swapping to coilovers. Plus the expense of coilovers. Plus the stock ride/comfort is pretty sweet.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts