BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So took the picture a little late, but this is quite an accomplishment!

This (2005) X3 has been amazing since day one, we have it since 2008 when only had 42,000 miles. Still going strong with factory recommended intervals on everything.

From back in the day:

So, who else is in the club??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats on 200,000. Aside from regular maintenance, what repairs have you had to make? Any big repairs? We have a 2005 also, so just wondering what to expect. Thanks.

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Very impressive! I love that color combo. I think that's my favorite.
Thanks! Actually that color combo was what sealed the deal!

Congrats on 200,000. Aside from regular maintenance, what repairs have you had to make? Any big repairs? We have a 2005 also, so just wondering what to expect. Thanks.
Thank you!

Repairs outside of maintenance:

119,800, 9/2012, Starter
120,000, 9/2012, Valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket.
125,000, 12/2012, RR window driving dog
129,000, 5/2013, DSC yaw sensor
137,000, 10/2013, Rear drive shaft and guibo
163,000, 2/2015, MAF sensor and DMTL pump
165,000, 3/2015, FR wheel bearing and cv boot
169,000, 7/2015, RL window driving dog
171,000, 8/2016, FR control arm
193,910, 7/2016, Front drive shaft

Every other part in the car is original and fully functional.

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
664 Posts
Wow.... was going to replace mine on the '05 next summer (120,000 miles+) but maybe I'll hold off a while :) Glad I did the starter when I had the intake manifold off....

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow.... was going to replace mine on the '05 next summer (120,000 miles+) but maybe I'll hold off a while :) Glad I did the starter when I had the intake manifold off....
I know right? I'm amazed how this car has help up. I had missed the VCG and oil filter housing gasket, added them to the list.
And for the record, it still has the original "lifetime" transmission fluid in it....it shifts smooth as butter.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I know right? I'm amazed how this car has help up. I had missed the VCG and oil filter housing gasket, added them to the list.
And for the record, it still has the original "lifetime" transmission fluid in it.....
Same Diff and Transfer fluids too?
Expansion tank?

What frequency do you use for oil changes?

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Same Diff and Transfer fluids too?
Expansion tank?

What frequency do you use for oil changes?
No, did the first Transfer case/Differential fluids at 90k, again at 170k.

Yes, expansion tank and all cooling system is original. Oil changes whenever the OBC tells me, I think averages every 15K (always used the BG long life oil additive the dealer uses) Car uses approx. 1 qt. of oil between changes, brake fluid every two years, coolant every four.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
No, did the first Transfer case/Differential fluids at 90k, again at 170k.

Yes, expansion tank and all cooling system is original. Oil changes whenever the OBC tells me, I think averages every 15K (always used the BG long life oil additive the dealer uses) Car uses approx. 1 qt. of oil between changes, brake fluid every two years, coolant every four.
If you throw this grenade into an oil change interval thread the ensuing mayhem will last until Christmas..

:rofl:

PS ...you may have the lowest cost of running X3 on the forum but you need gas

:)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I'm at 216k on my 09 bought new. I hit 200k at least 8 months ago and drove it cross country post 200k.

You even had a 1 year head start since you bought it. What took you so long?

Rofl.

Nice ride! Mine isn't going anywhere soon.

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you throw this grenade into an oil change interval thread the ensuing mayhem will last until Christmas..

:rofl:

PS ...you may have the lowest cost of running X3 on the forum but you need gas

:)
I know! Lol and I also use regular!! (Kidding...Shell premium only) haha.

Honestly, I was a little weary to disclose that without a member of the oil police to shoot me, but it is what it is and the car runs perfect.
Our goal it's to keep it until around 250,000 and then look for another low mileage one.

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm at 216k on my 09 bought new. I hit 200k at least 8 months ago and drove it cross country post 200k.

You even had a 1 year head start since you bought it. What took you so long?

Rofl.

Nice ride! Mine isn't going anywhere soon.
Thanks! I knew you were going to chime in Brian! Don't worry, I'm catching up, we're already over 202k! Lol

How's your maintenance been like?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I know! Lol and I also use regular!! (Kidding...Shell premium only) haha.

Honestly, I was a little weary to disclose that without a member of the oil police to shoot me, but it is what it is and the car runs perfect.
Our goal it's to keep it until around 250,000 and then look for another low mileage one.
Oil police and gas police will have to come get me too.

Premium, regular...short oil change...long oil change...

Meh....

My car is still as good as new ;)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Thanks! I knew you were going to chime in Brian! Don't worry, I'm catching up, we're already over 202k! Lol

How's your maintenance been like?
Predictable.

I have...for the most part...followed oil changes every 8k miles. Some shorter. Some longer

It was literally just fluid changes to 150k (transfer case/differential every 30k, brake and coolant every 2 years, transmission every 50k, spark plugs every 50k)

At 150k, I started to hit the MTBF of predictable wear parts:

Ofhg and oil cooler gasket/drive belt and tensioner -150k
New battery 152k
water pump and thermostat - 174k
Expansion tank and hoses - 191k
All 6 coils 206k
Vanos solenoids 208k
Front Cv boots 208k
Transfer case actuator 214k

Rear brakes replaced at 74k and 99k (under warranty as the second set were squeaking) - both covered by BMW

Rear brakes (my dime) 208k

Front brakes 99k (covered by BMW)

Front brakes (my dime) 214k

Tires last about 80k. I'm on my 3rd set

That's it....nothing too horrible maintenance wise.

Only failure non maintenance encountered was the front differential decided to blow up at 60k. BMW fully covered under good will.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Id buy your maintained x-3 for more than the average 70,000 mile x-3.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts