BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has a loud squeal/screech that now doesn't go away now even after driving awhile. It sounds like its from the off-set pulley for the serpentine belt.

Just wondering if this is common for an idler pulley to get so loud and screechy... (I've got a new one coming, URO)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My car has a loud squeal/screech that now doesn't go away now even after driving awhile. It sounds like its from the off-set pulley for the serpentine belt.

Just wondering if this is common for an idler pulley to get so loud and screechy... (I've got a new one coming, URO)

Thanks
Yes. Also the other two idlers (there are two on the big belt, one on the A/C) will wear out and need to be replaced. Advice: Send the URO POS back when it arrives and buy a real part that will last longer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know about poor quality parts. I just wanted the squeal to go away for $20! 1 year warranty. In the future I may do the bav auto complete kit for $150. Its just that my belts are fine as of now. Thanks for the help

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742 using Tapatalk

·
Keeping it surreal
43,186 Posts
If you plan on keeping that car for any length of time, you need to think about doing a complete cooling system rebuild on it. Don`t wait too long, that thing is a ticking time bomb !

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lower rad hose was leaking, replaced it. The TS housing has a light vapor leak through the place where the thermostat is. Didn't seem like I should replace it so sent the new wahler back. Also replaced a slightly leaky PS return hose and PS res o-ring.

I have read how dangerous a cooling problem can be with e46.... Yikes

For an inexpensive BMW I love the car. Just so well made, good seats back support, handling, engine... Controls, features..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bad I didn't know the oem brand was INA. Thanks for helping

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the bav auto complete serpentine kit. That URO pulley had scraping bearings right out of the box. :(
Thanks all you DIYers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts