BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it happened, the power steering pump failed at 90,000 miles. When we took it off, the shaft had sheared at the impellers, from what we could tell. We didn't take the whole thing apart, but by the length of the shaft in relation to the length of the part, that looked like what happened. This was a quick failure too, one minute the PS worked, turned the car off, came back 15 minutes later, started the car, and nothing in the way of power steering at all. Got to build up y forearms for a few days while waiting for the part. Expensive little sucker, got it through a friend who works on cars on the side, $325 for the pump alone, $45 for S belt and $15 for the other belt. Local BMW dealer wanted $575 for the pump. About a 2 hr job, pretty straight forward, could do the next one in probably 1.25hrs.

Not sure how many others experience a PS Pump failure, but just by the availability of the part, I'm guessing not too many.

regards....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Power steering pump out 325i

My power steering pump went out the exact same way. Can anyone tell me where to buy the best and cheapest pump for me 325i.............found one for 399...........seems kinda high..............HELP ?:mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.