BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright.. i'm really torn here, and would appreciate your help and insight.

so i've made offers to two people.. both offers at $17k. both cars bone stock.

1) 2000 steel blue 328CI with 60k miles, and sports package. 2)2001 silver 330CI with 75k miles, and sports package, premium package, HK, and winter package. Both cars are auto, and no warranty on either.

Assuming that Inspection II has been done on both cars, and conditions of both cars are comparable, which one should I choose? which one is a better deal? should i go with the smaller engine and lower mileage, or bigger engine with more options but more mileage? help me out here, e46 gurus. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
jhuanger said:
alright.. i'm really torn here, and would appreciate your help and insight.

so i've made offers to two people.. both offers at $17k. both cars bone stock.

1) 2000 steel blue 328CI with 60k miles, and sports package. 2)2001 silver 330CI with 75k miles, and sports package, premium package, HK, and winter package. Both cars are auto, and no warranty on either.

Assuming that Inspection II has been done on both cars, and conditions of both cars are comparable, which one should I choose? which one is a better deal? should i go with the smaller engine and lower mileage, or bigger engine with more options but more mileage? help me out here, e46 gurus. Thanks!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 328 and the 330 have the same engine, BMW just had a weird naming thing going on...the 01 seems like a better deal to me (pretty much fully loaded) and it's mileage is not high for it's age (about 15000 miles a year), but it comes to color choice and what's important to you - lower mileage or a newer car, more options, with normal mileage...

Good luck, you'll love either car anyway!
:D

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
This is tough--

328ci pros:
-better steering
-lower miles
-no DBW throttle
-has older style control arms and bushings which are more likely to fail

328ci cons:
-most likely e46 model/ year to experience a rear subframe tear-out
-less poewr than 330

330ci pros:
-more power
-if built after Jan 01, will have updated control arms/bushings. Still not great, but better

330ci cons:
-higher miles
-may have experience problems early in its life w/ electric coolin fan
-3.0 liter m54 seems to generate the highest complaints of oil usage

i'd probably go w/ the 328ci

·
Registered
27 Posts
For 2001 they tried to make the steering lighter at the cost of handling/feel because people who don't push their E46's complained that it was too hard to turn... :eek:

They fixed it in 2002, and I think there is a kit to fix the 2001's but I'm not sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.