BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I attempted to reset my oil service light using a piece of wire as described on postings found on found on this site. Unfortunately, I placed the wire in the wrong holes (19 and 16) instead of the ones described (19 and 7). My car will not start now. The keys are functional (lock & unlock) but the engine will not start. I also see an "S" or "5" appearing above the oil service bars on the dash...I hadn't noticed it before.

I'm hoping I didn't mess anything up. I should of known better not to attempt this on anything electrical. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Next time, use white-out to mark those pins (b/c the numbering is so small), this way you don't make mistake.

Anyway, this is picture from the Ebox for my 1998 528i (Man Trans, so no 2nd ECU for A.T.).

Pay attention to the small black box with the 5 fuses. Check them, the cover slides off to the side:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. I ended up having the car towed to my independent BMW mechanic. He's run a bunch of tests and he believed the trouble lies in the Transmission Control Unit (TCU). He says when the ignition is turned on and he shifts through Park through Drive, the instrument cluster is not showing the shifts. He said he called the parts supplier and the TCU is a "coded once" part and there are no re-builds. A new part from his dealer is around $1200 alone. I told him I'd check on this board if there are any work arounds. I also went on Pelican Parts but I didn't see a part for a TCU the closed I came was a Check Control Module.

I'm kicking myself for ever attempting to reset the service light. With nearly 200K on this car, I'm not sure if I want to dump $1500 on a repair.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cn90 is right, you shorted out a fuse when you used the wrong terminal. change it,
I didn't get a chance to remove the fuse cover to check these fuses as cn90 suggested...I was trying to get the top to slide off when the tow driver showed up. I'm not sure if my mechanic checked these fuses after I left though I will call him to make sure. If by chance they are all ok and I did in fact fry the TCM unit, can a used TCM unit be re-coded to my car? I found a used TCM on ebay for a fraction of a new one and if the part numbers match, i'd certainly would try this route first if it a used TCM can be re-coded.

I really like & trust my BMW mechanic and he is very open to me finding alternate solutions here on bimmerfest.

Thanks again for all the assistance.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Believe it or not, 99% of BMW mechanics are not familiar with the layout of the fusebox in thread #7.
This is because they rarely deal with this issue (connecting wrong pins on diagnostic connector --> blown fuse).
I bet you money the solution is a cheap 50-cent fuse.
Print this page and go to your mechanic.
All you need is an Allen key (6mm) to open the fuse box.

PS: the combined knowledge you find in this forum is 100X better than the most seasoned BMW mechanics.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Believe it or not, 99% of BMW mechanics are not familiar with the layout of the fusebox in thread #7.
This is because they rarely deal with this issue (connecting wrong pins on diagnostic connector --> blown fuse).
I bet you money the solution is a cheap 50-cent fuse.
Print this page and go to your mechanic.
All you need is an Allen key (6mm) to open the fuse box.

PS: the combined knowledge you find in this forum is 100X better than the most seasoned BMW mechanics.
Thank you, i'll call him now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you, i'll call him now.
Drop by mechanic and the fuses are all good so it looks like the TCM is corrupted. The dealer parts guy has told him the TCM can only be coded once. There are a few used TCM units from part resellers available though the question is can they be recoded? I guess my newest question is has anyone re-coded a used TCM for a 2000 528 I?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting but the TCM has something to do with the AT but not the engine.

If I understand correctly, the engine should be able to start even w/o the TCM?
Can someone chime in?

You may want to look through this document:
http://www.e38.org/electran1.pdf
Once again, thank you and others for their time and input. Right now just trying to find out if a Used/salvaged TMC can be re-coded. My mechanic is still trying his sources to find the answer to this question and if there are any other work around.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.