BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was starting and running fine. i ran my subs with my car not started (stupid) and now my car wont start even after recharging the battery. wont even start with a jump. all electric in the car works fine but when i turn the key all the way all i get is "click, click, click" . The car can be push started and when its push started it runs fine.
Not sure if its the battery, the starter, a fuse somewhere, or what.. could use some help

·
2000 M5
810 Posts
If you battery is charged. AND it runs with a push start - starter probably and check alternator too to make sure its charging properlly

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Car was starting and running fine. i ran my subs with my car not started (stupid) and now my car wont start even after recharging the battery. wont even start with a jump. all electric in the car works fine but when i turn the key all the way all i get is "click, click, click" . The car can be push started and when its push started it runs fine.
Not sure if its the battery, the starter, a fuse somewhere, or what.. could use some help
Car batteries don't take well getting fully drained. Maybe the battery didn't recover from that and now can't start the car. What is the battery voltage at rest and during cranking? Next step would be getting the battery load tested. If you got another car and proper (thick) jump leads try to jump start it.

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
Battery needs to be charged for 24 hours at a 6-10A rate.

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
655 Posts
As everyone said, always suspect the battery first.

Simplest solution is to jump it from the front, but if you don't jump it, then you have to charge your battery overnight with a 4 to 6 amp charger.

If it's not the battery, then suspect the starter, but it's rare for the starter to go. An old trick is to short the starter solenoid with a crowbar or large screwdriver or any other insulated handle piece of metal so as to bypass the starter relay but I never tried it, so I don't know if the bmw has protection to prevent you from doing that.

Another old trick is to bang on the starter solenoid with a hammer, and try again.

But, as everyone already said, most of the time in the bmw, it's the battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts