BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello every one new to this site and i am in a no start no crank condition aany help would be greatly thankful for Craig

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our E46 3 Series forum, you'll get more help in here. What have you tried so far?

Tim

·
Keeping it surreal
43,229 Posts
So, explain exactly what happens when you turn the key....at Position Two, do you hear the characteristic "whirring" sound of the fuel pump priming the system ? Then in the START position, do you just get a clicking noise, or nothing at all ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with my 328i today. Here is what I have done already. When putting in the key and turning the engine over I get nothing, no clicking, grinding, slow lopping of a weak starter...stone silent. I do the the bing bing and all the lights, radio, fuel pump all these turn on. The check engine light came on and the ELM light flashed on but then went off. I turned on the front headlights and they were bright. When I turned over the key, the lights did not dim at all. Checked battery terminals for corrosion and tightness all were good. Took multi meter and confirmed the battery was good. Then I wend under the car and checked the hot side of the solenoid which had good power. I then checked the starter solenoid energizer wire while the key was turned over, there was no power to this post. I then hotwired the starter and was able to turn over the engine. That took the starter system out of the equation, it must be electrical somewhere else. I then pulled the cowling off of the steering column and removed the starter switch. I did have good power on the Blue/Black line when attempting to turn over the starter switch with a screwdriver and the key still over in the security ring around the key hole. I then dropped down the white box ESW module and it had correct power at the Blue/Black line going into it, when the ignition was turned over. I did not however get power from the black cable leaving the EWS to the solenoid actuator. I ten jumpered the black and the blue/black wires and WHALA the starter worked when the starter switch was turned over... that being said it did not start running, I believe things like the ignition, and fuel systems were also not being allowed to turn on.

After all of this, I have concluded that the EWS is bad, however this unit gets a signal from the Transmission Control Unit probably to ensure park and neutral settings for the Automatic transmission. I know that his is on the drivers side by the firewall in the engine compartment but I don't know if this might be sending a no start message. I moved the gear selector up and down many times and this did not effect anything. The other problem is that the EWS module also interacts with the Motor Electronic control unit and this all has to do with the security system and the keys. I don't know what to do from here. I'm sure that this is over $1,000 to take to the dealer. I know that there is a place called RPMmotorsports that handles these things but even that way just for parts is $400-$600. I don't know if I am missing anything, and I don't know if I pull out all these parts, could the be repaired or reprogramed or flashed instead of having to buy all new equipment, keys etc.

I hope this check list helps others narrow things down, but I would love to hear from someone regarding where to go after you have done all of this!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts