Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning friends,

I have what i would like to say intermediate level knowledge about my bmer, so please bare with my ignorance.

I have a 2000 bmw 528i with a starting issue. Basically, it started losing rpms, and then when i switched lanes to get it off the road, (at least tried) it started to sputter, then it died. I went to start it again and nothin but a crank. Fast forwarding, I got advice from my mechanic (over the phone), as i did not want to pay $500+ if it was something i could fix myself. Based off of the info I was provided, he agreed that it was most likely my fuel pump. Like a dumb*ss, i disconnected my battery to check the fuel pump, which erased my codes. This isn't a huge problem as everyone keeps stating that it would only show a general emission error code.

1. I bought a new pump and replaced it; nothing.
2. I bought a new filter and replaced it; nothing.
3. I then thought it could've been my fuses so i changed 17, 31 and 54 with new ones, nothing.
4. I then checked my fuel pump relay and when my uncle cranked the engine i felt the click in the relay to make sure it worked (I even swapped out another relay, nothing).
5. I then moved into checking my spark plugs (which were changed no more than a year ago) and i was getting spark, but still no engine start.
6. At this point I figured it might be pressure. So when I checked the pressure tester, I had 0 psi (yes ZERO), but there was fuel that was leaking from the pressure testing valve when i connected the pressure reader.
7. Continuing, I replaced my old fuel pressure regulator with a new one, and nothing.
8. While i was under the the vehicle i decided to see if there was a clog and from which side, so i unplugged the "In" portion of my fuel pump (the hose closest to the engine). Cranked the vehicle and only saw slow dripping from the hose.
9. I replaced my camshaft positioning sensor no more than a year ago, so i don't think that's the issue.

I haven't replaced or checked the crankshaft sensor yet could that be the issue? Again, the biggest thing i noticed was the lack of fuel pressure.

Thank you all for any assistance you can give!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, codes pulled as shown below.

Before I pulled the codes, I was able to start my vehicle by filling up the right side of the tank. It starts up right when my gas meter was half full or more.

Onto the codes. I replaced both bank 3 and 6 spark plugs (including the coils) and the car is idling a lot smoother when it's warmed up, however it hasn't fixed the sputter when I accelerate to 2.5 RPM's or higher.

P1189 led me to the MAF, which I took out, inspected and cleaned. Unfortunately, there was no noticeable change.

Lastly, I checked code P0441. That code took me to the EVAP purge flow, which I must admit, I have no idea where to even begin with this.

Again, everything else (mentioned above) has either been checked or replaced and I'm at a stalemate with this hardheaded machine. Thank you again for any assistance you guys can offer. This whole experience has taught me so much about this vehicle and yet I still know very little. Humbling indeed.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The P0441 code isn’t the culprit. The purge system scavenges fuel vapors from the gas tanks and sends them to a charcoal canister near the engine. Under certain conditions the engine computer opens a purge valve and the engine sucks the valors from the canister.

What brand of fuel pump did you install? It does matter. I bet the fuel pump supplier to BMW was Siemens/VDO or Bosch. I ask as you noted that you get very little fuel at the engine side of the pump (I bet you meant filter). These engines require fuel pressure if at least 50psi. Your fuel system isn’t providing that fuel pressure.

I’d find an indie shop that specializes in bimmers. Try www.bimrs.org.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The P0441 code isn***8217;t the culprit. The purge system scavenges fuel vapors from the gas tanks and sends them to a charcoal canister near the engine. Under certain conditions the engine computer opens a purge valve and the engine sucks the valors from the canister.

What brand of fuel pump did you install? It does matter. I bet the fuel pump supplier to BMW was Siemens/VDO or Bosch. I ask as you noted that you get very little fuel at the engine side of the pump (I bet you meant filter). These engines require fuel pressure if at least 50psi. Your fuel system isn***8217;t providing that fuel pressure.

I***8217;d find an indie shop that specializes in bimmers. Try www.bimrs.org.
Thank you for the quick reply.

The fuel pump was Bosch and the filter was a Duralast from AutoZone.

And yes, I did mean the filter not the pump.

So, last night I decided to give the vehicle a spin. I filled her up completely and when I did so, it started to sputter and eventually die. When the tow truck had the vehicle on an incline, I noticed a heavy leak from the underbelly, right behind the driver's seat. I never noticed any leaks prior to this, but it also was not on an incline like it was with a full tank. Now I'm convinced, after everything I've changed, that it's the leak. Do you know whether it's a common leak from a specific hose?

I will post pictures asap. Thank you for the pointers.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
That leak is likely from the fuel filter. Did you replace the hoses and hose clamps at the filter when you replaced it? The only brands of fuel filters you want to buy are Mahle, Keyser and Mann. I buy only Mahle fuel filters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That leak is likely from the fuel filter. Did you replace the hoses and hose clamps at the filter when you replaced it? The only brands of fuel filters you want to buy are Mahle, Keyser and Mann. I buy only Mahle fuel filters.
I only replaced the clamps to the filter because I didn't notice anything abnormal with the fuel filter hoses.

Is the filter brand really that specific? Must it be OEM? After seeing the location of the leak, I also believe it's a hose. Would you recommend me leaving the filter alone until the hoses are changed or should I replace it all at once?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I specify specific brands for various parts because personal experience and that of others show that aftermarket parts cause issues. BMW selects a specific supplier because it knows that the supplier provides provides parts of consistently high quality. That said, get the part # for the filter from www.realoem.com and then buy the part from FCPEuro. You local parts store should have high quality, high pressure fuel hose made by a reputable company.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I specify specific brands for various parts because personal experience and that of others show that aftermarket parts cause issues. BMW selects a specific supplier because it knows that the supplier provides provides parts of consistently high quality. That said, get the part # for the filter from www.realoem.com and then buy the part from FCPEuro. You local parts store should have high quality, high pressure fuel hose made by a reputable company.
Ok, I will share results when I replace the parts. Thank you again for your assistance! ***x1f642;

1 - 10 of 10 Posts