Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This also happened about 3 weeks ago. After a good rain the rear floor only on the passenger side gets wet. Not soaked but it's diffidently wet. All the door seals (door and door jam) are in good shape. Also I don't fell any signs of moisture coming down on side to the floor well area. Nothing wet around the center post between the doors. I also moved the front passenger seat all the way to the front, and checked around the heater vents thinking maybe it might be leaking from the heater core??? That area was bone dry. I pulled the rear seat out and no signs of water in there either. I looked under the car couldn't see anything but the gas tank. The sunroof seals look good. No signs of water on the inside ceiling. The window seals seem to be good and the windows are all the way up under the weather stripping. When I open any of the doors after it rains some water falls out of what I suspect is trapped while the doors are closed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Jamie, check the drain holes at the bottom of the doors, the holes are behind the bottom rubber strip.
They could be plugged up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for replying. Well last night we had a heavy storm and sure enough the rear passenger floor is wet again. I'll take a look for the drain hole you talked about Jim. And will also see about purchasing some of the sealant for the vapor barriers. It sure seems odd that none of the side carpet wall areas that come down from the area where you step in or the area below the rear seat get wet. I wonder if the kick or step plate that has BMW on it can cause a leak from under it?

Thanks again

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim just checked drain holes behind the rubber strip and their open. I guess as BMW Blue said it must be the vapor seals? But seems odd that the side carpet areas don't get wet? Maybe today I'll try a hose on it and see what happens. Do either of you know if the step strip if it leaks could it also cause this problem from below?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Take the door panel off and check....

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Take the door panel off and check....
Yes, take the door panel/card off and do a water test like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fVM-JVi58w

The water leaks over the plastic step panel when the door is closed, not under it, and drips
directly onto the carpet and soaks it and the very thick foam padding underneath.

You will see where at the bottom of the vapor barrier/sound barrier has come unattached
because of water getting trapped over time, you will understand when you take it apart that it's a bad design.

My leak (left rear) was caused by a previous owner that had a window regulator replaced and the barrier
was not replaced properly, my right rear passenger barrier failed due to age as did my drivers side front.
Oddly, my right front passenger side has never failed.
I suppose the cars that stay out of the rain and parked in a garage all the time would have a lessor failure rate.

Water tends to bounce around and not always find its way to the drains as we all wish it would.

·
Under the lift arms
12,946 Posts
Take the rear door cards off...

that way you can at least see if the rear doors are leaking,

Its very easy to figure out how a BMW is getting wet... its specific

Just take door card off for a few days..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just removed both rear door panels and yes both vapor barriers were not attached anymore on the bottom. So purchased some butyl sealant and cleaned and reattached them. I would imagine that the front interior vapor/sound barriers are probably also detached.

Another question that's in the same area, is the entrance black strips that have BMW in chrome on them, that you step over to get into the car at the bottom of the door jam. I removed them because the rubber around them is starting to rot. After I removed them and the white retainer clips that hold them in, there's three 3/8 inch holes also in the same area that nothing goes into? Are they for drainage of for another model?

Thanks again for all the info.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news we’ve had good heavy rains the last couple of days and no wet rear carpets. So resealing the door vapor barriers seems to have taken care of the problem. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 11 of 11 Posts