BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
540i - 2000 vs 2001

Newbie here-Sorry if this has been covered, I did a quick search.

I am currently looking at two beautiful 540is. I basically just got my first decent job since I graduated college and am going to reward myself a bit. I'm upgrading from a 1998 Cadillac STS (family deal). It had decent power but a wishy-washy ride. It was actually a very dependable car back and forth from school (250 mile round trip) no problems after me putting a rough 50,000 on it, sitting at 85,000 now... However I'm 25, and an STS isn't me, maybe in another 30 years...

To the real questions:

I am looking at these cars, the 2000 is Orient Blue on black with 43,000 miles for $24,500. It has the sport package but an automatic tranny w/steptronic. The 2001 is silver on black with 58,000 miles for $26,900. It has the sport package as well WITH the 6 spd.

Aesthetically speaking, both are perfect and both are 1 owner trades to the same Cadillac dealership. I plan to have whichever one I choose inspected of course. I guess what I'm asking is is there a reason to spend the extra $$$ on the 2001 with more miles or should I stick with what seems like the smart decision from my perspective, the 2000. Maybe there are some defects or historical problems I haven't read about with one vs the other.

There was one other question I have. Both have the "sport package", both have the M badge, three spoke steering wheel. The 2000 has the double spoke wheels while the 2001 has the 15 spoke. The problem I have is some I see on Autotrader.com with the sport package have the M style front spoiler, while both that I'm looking at have the "regular" one. I'm just worried I'm going to get ripped off. I don't know if there are two different types of sport packages you can get or what. Maybe one a more aesthetic package, and the other with the suspension?

Thank you very much in advance for any replies. I hope to be chatting with you all soon about my own e39...

Regards,
Thom

·
Registered
56 Posts
well, the 2001 is the facelifted model with angel eyes, celis tailights, body coloured mouldings, different front bumper, etc. You will have to choose whether you want these differences. I myself love the facelifted model. Do a search for blown radiators. Lots of 540's suffer from this issue. 2003 540/6's had m sport packages with different bumpers "a la m5" and 18" rims. Like the normal sport package it also includes the sport suspension, shadowline trim around the windows, sport seats, 3 spoke steering wheel, etc. Hope this helps.

Andrew

·
totally
520 Posts
By M style front spoiler do you mean it looks like the M5? Those are either 03's or upgraded by the prev. owner.

I would go with the 01 without question. I wouldn't drive an auto if you paid me. Plus, just upgrading the head and tail lights to '01 style will make up the difference in price.

And make sure you get a buyer's inspection. Don't buy either unless the owner allows you to.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely get the 01'. At the time, I was "anti-01", because I'd just turned in my lemon 00' E46, and didn't want to try any more of BMW's new products! So, I opted for the 528, over the 530.

After seeing the facelife of the 01's, I definitely kicked myself! The 00's don't look nearly as nice, and, there are a few minor additions to options.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad news, at least for me... I called to put a deposit on the 2001 and it sold this afternoon. Its hard trying to find something in my price range but I lucked out yet again. I found a black 2000 with the sports package and 6spd about an hour north or me. 51,000 miles/$24,900.

I know some of you suggested the 2001, but mechanically, is the 2000 and 2001 the same? Whichever I bought I planned on buying the M style bumper, so thats not really an issue. The other question I have, if I bought lights from the 2001 with angel eyes, are they basically "plug and play" or is there additional work that needs done.

The reason I'm asking is finding a 2001 with a reasonable amount of miles for under $27,000 is next to impossible, Ive found a few 2000s. Unless the 2001 is mechanically superior I'm thinking about going with the 2000 and making some upgrades to the front bumper and lights as I can afford to.

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
Estcoast1 said:
Bad news, at least for me... I called to put a deposit on the 2001 and it sold this afternoon. Its hard trying to find something in my price range but I lucked out yet again. I found a black 2000 with the sports package and 6spd about an hour north or me. 51,000 miles/$24,900.

I know some of you suggested the 2001, but mechanically, is the 2000 and 2001 the same? Whichever I bought I planned on buying the M style bumper, so thats not really an issue. The other question I have, if I bought lights from the 2001 with angel eyes, are they basically "plug and play" or is there additional work that needs done.

The reason I'm asking is finding a 2001 with a reasonable amount of miles for under $27,000 is next to impossible, Ive found a few 2000s. Unless the 2001 is mechanically superior I'm thinking about going with the 2000 and making some upgrades to the front bumper and lights as I can afford to.
I would wait then, and get the 2001 when you can afford it. Buying the 2000 and adding the updates is going to be costly, and you will never get that back in resale.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Estcoast1 said:
I think they are mechanically same.
If you did not have Xenon before, then you will need the ballast as well, and a resistor/relay to fool the "check low beam" light. Some one was selling it on the internet.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
I would try to wait for a 2001. It'll be a lot less painful in the end to get all those neat features that were available in 2001:

Angel Eyes
MK III NAV screen (16:9)
New 3 liter engine (for the I6)

Are just a few that come to mind.

"Patience, Luke, patience...."

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
Ågent99 said:
I would try to wait for a 2001. It'll be a lot less painful in the end to get all those neat features that were available in 2001:

Angel Eyes
MK III NAV screen (16:9)
New 3 liter engine (for the I6)

Are just a few that come to mind.

"Patience, Luke, patience...."
Also clear versus amber rear tail lights and side markers.

·
Unregistered User
234 Posts
JY said:
I think they are mechanically same.
If you did not have Xenon before, then you will need the ballast as well, and a resistor/relay to fool the "check low beam" light. Some one was selling it on the internet.
aND SOME SORT OF ADAPTER FOR THE ANGEL EYES AS WELL.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The best to do, is get the latest design 5 series (E39), its newer, more powerful, and looks more sporty. I used to have a 00 528i or have :eek: , though the dealer gave me a 03' 530i to drive, and i love it. If my car doesn't get repaired i might buy this one. Get the newest one, everyone does who has the cash ! :)

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
528i said:
Also, isn't the Sport Package window trim a high gloss black on the 01+ 540s?
Yup!
Plus the kidney grills are the M5 style wider ones....I am glad I have a 2001 model!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts