BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 323i had been frequently plagued with low coolant. I had taken it to my mechanic and he checked it a few times and said he couldn't see anything wrong. Well today his response was totally different. He had detected oil and coolant mixing and told me that I would need to replace the engine. He sort of irked by saying that you were careless with the oil changes as you have to have them done every 7-8K miles. I told him BMW recommends that this be done every 15K miles...his response was pretty rude that "then you better take this car to BMW dealership". My question....if I go for replacing the engine, what sort of a price tag am I looking at? :(:(

·
Registered
814 Posts
My 2000 323i had been frequently plagued with low coolant. I had taken it to my mechanic and he checked it a few times and said he couldn't see anything wrong. Well today his response was totally different. He had detected oil and coolant mixing and told me that I would need to replace the engine. He sort of irked by saying that you were careless with the oil changes as you have to have them done every 7-8K miles. I told him BMW recommends that this be done every 15K miles...his response was pretty rude that "then you better take this car to BMW dealership". My question....if I go for replacing the engine, what sort of a price tag am I looking at? :(:(
Oil and coolant mixing is a sign of a leaky head gasket. Tell this guy to **** himself and take the car somewhere else. You might not need to replace the entire engine for one faulty part. Good luck with the problem :thumbup:

·
Need a Toyota?
2,563 Posts
Oil and coolant mixing is a sign of a leaky head gasket. Tell this guy to **** himself and take the car somewhere else. You might not need to replace the entire engine for one faulty part. Good luck with the problem :thumbup:
+1

Sounds like a head gasket to me.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,301 Posts
If your car has never exhibited signs of prolonged overheating, you *might* get away with just a head gasket replacement. One episode of severe overheating can be enough to crack the head or the block, but that`s a worst-case scenario. You really need to find a competent mechanic who really knows how to diagnose these things. Where in NJ are you located?

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys....thanks for your replies.

There was never any sign of engine overheating....no lights no temperature guage indication, so this was kind of surprising to me.

By the way I am located in Central NJ around the Rutgers area.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
I'd send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs also. They will tell you exactly what is in your oil...

·
Keeping it surreal
43,301 Posts
I'd send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs also. They will tell you exactly what is in your oil...
This would be a smart move....depending on how long (and how much) the oil has been diluted, analysis will show if there`s excessive bearing wear, etc., and give you a better picture of what`s going on.

Regards,
Bob

·
I'm an agent of chaos
3,732 Posts
Find a competent mechanic and don't go to the dealership. Though they might not tell you to replace the engine you'll still pay as much as an engine replacement would cost at an independent shop.

·
self-effacing bmw owner
522 Posts
http://www.bimrs.org/
http://www.bimmershops.com/

i'm thinking of trying Eurosport Of Westfield when my warranty is up. asked my BMW SA about extended warranty and it's a whopping $3200 for 2 years, ridiculous. haven't been to that shop yet but may be worth checking out, not too far from new brunswick either.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,301 Posts
http://www.bimrs.org/
http://www.bimmershops.com/

i'm thinking of trying Eurosport Of Westfield when my warranty is up. asked my BMW SA about extended warranty and it's a whopping $3200 for 2 years, ridiculous. haven't been to that shop yet but may be worth checking out, not too far from new brunswick either.
As far as I know, they have a good reputation. I know someone who campaigns an M3 race car, and they have done some work on it.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys...I took the advise and had moved the car to another mechanic. He took a while to get back to me but assured me that the engine does need to be replaced. He however said that this would need a new head gasket. The total cost took close to $2500 instead of the projected $6000 estimated by the first guy who scared the pants off me. Once again...thanks a bunch for pointing me out in the right direction.

·
self-effacing bmw owner
522 Posts
glad to hear the good news. what shop/mechanic did you end up taking it to?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This place called "Mehul Autos" on Rt 27 in Edison.

The check engine light is still on so I took it back to him. He said drive it for a few days and then bring it back. If the light wouldn't go he said he will reset. He told me to keep an eye on the temperature to be on the safe side

·
Registered
794 Posts
How much would that cost approximately? I've never done this kind of thorough check up before..

Guys...I took the advise and had moved the car to another mechanic. He took a while to get back to me but assured me that the engine does need to be replaced. He however said that this would need a new head gasket. The total cost took close to $2500 instead of the projected $6000 estimated by the first guy who scared the pants off me. Once again...thanks a bunch for pointing me out in the right direction.
Nice job! Good luck and hope you enjoy your ride once the issue gets fixed. =)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts