BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Quick question for you, when I have the top up I hear an annoying rattle that I've traced back to a loose spring on the convertible top near the top rear corner of the window, kind of abouve your shoulder on both sides of the top. Here's a pic of the spring:

Can anyone tell me where this spring is supposed to be attached to?

Also what does the spring do?

And lastly, how about that little black thread that's loose, where does that go?

Thanks for any and all input you may have.

·
Need a tow?
245 Posts
It appears that that is the spring that holds tension on the wire cable in the roof,

Here is my site about roof replacement, and there are 2 PDF's of the roof parts from the BMW ETK. The cable is # 15 on PDF #2.

The thread that you are pointing to is likely wire, and goes thru the spring, and clamps to itself. That wire keeps the edge of the roof tight, for water leakage, as well as providing the "spring" to the roof as you open and close it

Giznaz's Roof Page

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the help. I took a closer look at it using your pdf's and found that it's actually not #15 but #29 instead.

I checked with the stealer and they want $40 per side for the little "kit" that I would need.

Can some one snap a pic of that are on their top for me? I'm wondering if I need the entire kit or if I could just attach the spring in another way to where it's supposed to be attached to. If that makes sense... =)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts