BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Plumber
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I take my car out of storage next month, it will be oil change time (my 1st with the car). I have changed the oil in every vehicle I have ever owned. THe car has had a steady diet of Mobil 1 since new. I am fine with that or if any vets out there can offer something other. Questions: are all 2000 2.8 engine oil filters located on the topside front of motor?, how much and where to source the under-hood diagnotic/reset tool, and finally, with the cost of the filter and oil approaching $60, why not just pay the extra for the dealer to do it on the rack, and get the fluid check/lube point riggemarole?:dunno:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
where are you buying your filter and oil ?

5qts from walmart is around $24 - filter around $10 (from online dealer - by 3 or 4).

Yes all the Z3 have the oilfilter on the top of the engine for easy access.

A little search and you should find the "paper clip" method to reset the oil light. How far north are you in Wisconsin ?

·
Plumber
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am southwest of Madison, about 30 Minutes north of the Lovely State of IL, Monroe would be the closest town. My Mobil 1 google search showed about 48 bucks for the oil and I figured the best filter would be 10ish. I admit I didnt shop that hard. Were in the flats is Batavia? I am an Island of 1 in this area.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
30miles west from down town Batavia. We have normally do one or two drives up your direction.

You can get oil a lot cheaper if you shop around. You may have a little less choice but then you probably do not have a dealer to close.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts