BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Plumber
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want one. Need one. The Peake code/scan is $130, is there another/better option or do I just get the Peake unit?:dunno:

·
Registered
72 Posts
just bite the bullet and buy one....it only cost about 5 bucks more than one hour of shop time at my local BMW dealer and if you are a DIY'er it will pay for itself the first time you need to use it.

·
Plumber
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
z3 code reader

Not an issue about $, just WHICH one to buy. Most have the cylindrical Peake unit, however the Equus 3030 Innova Diagnostic Code Reader for OBDII Vehicles
is locally available and seems to do more for less, does anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd be interested in getting one that reads Z3's and Z4's. :thumbup: I'll wait and see what the experts on here think.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm in favor of the generic code reader

The reason is that so much information is available if you have the OBDII code for a problem. I have an intermittent problem with my 2002 Z3 2.5. It will throw a SES light when the car sits for a few minutes before starting with a warm engine. The SES light clears after several days of normal use. I just received a Autel MaxiScan MS409 from Amazon, and the code P0344 came up right away. A search on this forum turns up ten pages of threads on error code P0344, so I have a lot of reading to do. The Peake tool will reset the service interval lights for you, which a generic code reader won't do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also have a 2000 z3 and just purchased a Peake scan/reset tool off Ebay for $91. It's used but works great. Besides, with the prices I've seen for used scan tools, I can turn around and get about that much back if I were not to need it any more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts