BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello There, my 2001 325i needs a new alternator, and yesterday I found one (a Valeo unit) from a 2000 323i. The 323 unit tested well, and I am wondering if I can use to replace the Bosch unit in the 325. They are both 120 amp units, and the pulleys are the same, so it would seem like a nice fit. I have read a post or two on here saying not to replace the Bosch unit with a Valeo one, but no reason was given. Will this work? Thank you for your help!

I do not usually post on forums, as most often I find the info I need by reading them. So please excuse me if I am not doing this correctly!

Best Regards,
Michael

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't think you can, but I could be wrong. I'm sure someone else will confirm/deny. I believe you have to stick with the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I hear, but I would like to get confirmation before I have the original Bosch one rebuilt. I only spent $30 on the Valeo unit from a very clean 323, but on the other hand, I would hate to cause an expensive electrical problem. Thank you for posting!

·
Registered
499 Posts
The alternators are interchangeable, however the pulleys are not the same. The valeo is actually shorter even though the ribbing that the belt sits on is the same. If the valeo you pulled has the pulley on it then that's fine, if not you will need to buy the correct pulley.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Art Teach! The Valeo has the pulley on it, so maybe I will just install it and see what happens.

In a related story, it appears that Autozone no longer sells the 49-DL battery. I may have to go with a Walmart H8.

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts