BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
You can call me Bill
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a squeaking noise like it's from a shiny belt, but it's not and I only get it when the car is in Drive or Reverse, not Park or Neutral. The noise is louder in Reverse than it is in forward gears.

I do not know when the transmission fluid was last changed, if ever. I know I haven't checked it in the last year and I'm not sure if it's ever been done.

So what's the concensus (if that's possible)?
Do I go for a trans fluid change or leave it alone
?
Would low fluid cause a squeak with no other codes being thrown
?

·
Registered
99 Posts
So have you checked it yet? Does it make the same noise when you use steptronic? Is the noise a consistant level or does is rise/fall as you accelarate/decelerate?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I hear a squeaking noise like it's from a shiny belt, but it's not and I only get it when the car is in Drive or Reverse, not Park or Neutral. The noise is louder in Reverse than it is in forward gears.

I do not know when the transmission fluid was last changed, if ever. I know I haven't checked it in the last year and I'm not sure if it's ever been done.

So what's the concensus (if that's possible)?
Do I go for a trans fluid change or leave it alone
?
Would low fluid cause a squeak with no other codes being thrown
?
Check it first. That way we can give you a better suggestion.

·
You can call me Bill
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It makes the same noise in all gears, sport mode, step, reverse. It's louder in reverse. I'm thinking I'll get it checked out next week at a local Indy shop. I suspect the leak I'm seeing is actually ATF since even after an oil change it's still dripping almost pure black while my oil is the color of honey on the dipstick.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
My car does this too, in my case i have confirmed my exhaust is making the noise. Granted I recently modded it. The ATF you see could be coming from your P/S fluid resevoir, keep that in mind. Used tranny fluid in the auto's will be more of a reddish brown, not black.

·
You can call me Bill
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll take a look again this weekend. I replaced both PS reservoir hoses and keep the reservoir clean enough to eat on, so I'm sure it's not coming from that. The leak is further back, either from the rear of the valve cover gasket facing the firewall or something under/behind that.

·
You can call me Bill
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I drove it home and it never complained at all. No lights, no codes, no funny shifts. The sprocket error message was gone the next time I started it and it hasn't returned.
I jacked it up when I got home, looked around for problems, didn't see anything obviously wrong. I took it out this am about 5 miles and nothing, so it may have been a random event.
At least I got to clean up the leaking oil and tightened a few of the oil pan bolts where the leak was.

·
Registered
420 Posts
At least I got to clean up the leaking oil and tightened a few of the oil pan bolts where the leak was.
Are you refering to the engine oil pan or transmission oil pan bolts? If it is the transmission oil pan, you may have been loosing oil for sometime.

Since you are not sure when was the transmission oil was since replaced, I would go ahead and change it now especially if your car has high mileage. I would not wait for any trouble codes. By then the damage maybe to far along.

·
You can call me Bill
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Engine Oil Pan, much closer to the front of the engine near the belts. It is all well forward of the joint between the transmission and the engine block. I've gotten conflicting advice so far. Some say change the trans. fluid, others say don't mess with it. I doubt I'll mess with it at this time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I seem to have the same symptoms. Noise, but no leaks.

I just replaced the mech tensioner with a hydraulic one and the alternator idler pulley. Stealership wanted $680, I got the parts for under $150, the hardest part is getting the mech fan back on.
Still have the noise. I'll keep monitoring here and posting what I'm doing.

I will try soap on the belts to see if it changes anything and change the ATF.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts