BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems that there is something wrong with my car yet again :cry:
so here is the situation, one day I went to wash my car at one of those do it yourself places (got out of work late so every other place was closed) anyways, so the next day when I turn on my car the coolant light is on. :eek: Could it be that these two things have something in common? I don't think so but its just a thought.
So I went to buy coolant and I filled it all the way to the top and drove to work the next day, now I when I got home before I turned off my car the coolant light came out again. So I let it rest and when I opened the cap, there was no coolant inside. I checked under the my car and there seems to be a leak that is making the coolant drop and quiet quickly at that :mad:
Do you guys know what it could be? The radiator? water pump? hopefully its something small:dunno:

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Most common leak point is the coolant expansion tank (the plastic tank that the 'radiator' cap is actually a part of. I believe the part is $50 @ autohausaz.com.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so it turns out that it was actually a whole bunch of things or so the dealership told me:
coolant reservoir
water pump
thermostat
royal coolant flush
total price:1800 (ah!!!!) do I really have to get the flush done since it seems my car has dripped all of the coolant anyways?

·
The Ultimate Übermensch
1,023 Posts
so it turns out that it was actually a whole bunch of things or so the dealership told me:
coolant reservoir
water pump
thermostat
royal coolant flush
total price:1800 (ah!!!!) do I really have to get the flush done since it seems my car has dripped all of the coolant anyways?
How long have you had this car? How many miles are on it so far? Probably the reservoir as mentioned above. Generally the pump and thermostat are recommended to replace about 60k. Also an independant is generally about half what a dealership will cost but please consider doing this DIY. You will save a ton!

Good Luck

·
Registered
420 Posts
$1800.00, is excessive. No way, this is white collar robbery. Ouch!

coolant reservoir
water pump
thermostat
royal coolant flush

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think the dealer quoted you this amount, since for the most part the cooling systems tend to go all at once.

I also would get the parts and DIY......and yes I would flush out the system, you don't want any air bubbles in there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There has to be more parts that will be replaced to justify the $1800.00 quote. Right now with the 3 parts mentioned and flush coolant, we are talking maybe dealer parts price of $300- $400 tops. A $1400 labor for a 4 hours the most it will take to do this is out of line. A good mechanic can do this under 2 hours. Perhaps there are other things that is included that we do not know, but at this price I would take the car and get another quote somewhere else. Drive it to my house and I will do it for $1000.00. At this price, I feel I'm stealing somebody's lunch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts