BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this car for a while, bought it as a project. Hasn’t ran in a while, I tried starting it about a month ago it and you would hear it firing on some cylinders but I believe not enough for it to start, also it doesnt seem like it’s getting fuel since then (can’t hear pump when I turn key in the on position). Now it doesn’t have any spark and still can’t hear the pump prime. When I first bought it it started fine. Seems like the fuel and no spark condition came together. I also replaced the relays in the trunk, put a new starter in, cleaned and check all grounds, bought a new battery, and still won’t start. It overall cranks good but it doesn’t go beyond that. Heard a faulty crank position sensor is possible, how would I go about testing a 2 pin sensor ? Also the key functions don’t work. Any other possibilities ?

·
Lennart
63 Posts
Hello,

I don't think there is any reliable and simple way of measuring the sensor.
But it seems that the drive-away-protection (EWS) might have been activated. Then there will be no spark, the injectors won't open but the engine will crank.

I would also have assured myself that the fuel pump is really working. After a longer pause it will prime when the key is turned, but not every time with short intervals.

But first of all you should get yourself a BMW specific code reader. Then read and delete existing DTCs before you try to start again. If still no start, read DTCs again and you will have a good clue to what's it all about.

For this BMW generation I think INPA and BMW Scanner (P A Soft) on a Windows laptop are ideal. With those tools you will more or less be independant of workshops. Only make sure you buy them from a reliable source. Many useless clones are floating about. The softwares can be downloaded but you will need two different interfaces.

//Len

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The crank sensor should measure around 550 ohms on a multimeter. A bad, or aftermarket, sensor will be way out or zero.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts