BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was given my dads old BMW 325i year 2001 and I realized that it has no other way to play music besides through CDs and radio. I purchased a fm radio transmitter and the music quality is just horrible (static,humming sound).I was then informed by a friend that BMWs have a connection for an aux cord in the back of the radio, and after taking out the radio out I saw one connection which was for the CD/radio on the left and on the right there was no connection for the aux but it looks like there was a spot for it. After doing some research apparently BMW radios after 2002 are the only ones that have the aux connection in the back.
So here's the real question: Can I buy a radio from a BMW model 2002 and up that has a Aux connection, and will it still fit right? If not is there any other way to play music through my car speakers through an iPhone?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The car's original head unit doesn't have an aux in connector, as you've noted. There are 2 solutions:
1. Buy an adapter that plugs into the CD changer cables in the trunk. This requires routing of cables from the trunk to the center console. Thats where I mounted the DICE electronix box. The cable to your phone or iPod runs from the box to wherever.
2. Buy a used head unit (Alpine) from a 2003 or later E46. Now comes the fun.
- the AM/FM antenna amp in your car's drivers side "C" is powered by the head unit. The newer head unit doesn't supply power to the amp. SO, you'll need a newer antenna amp
- your current head unit has 2 radio signal jnputs: AM and FM. The newer head unit has 1! So you'll need a cable that combines the 2 signals (AM & FM) into a single cable.
- you'll need to by the proper BMW (don't buy it from eBay) cable that plugs into the head unit.

I choose option #1. There are numerous brands out there. Check the audio section of E46Fanatics for brands.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I moved your question to our E46 3 Series forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim

·
BMW = Fahrvergnügen
446 Posts
I have a 2002 325Ci and had the same problem. Have the Business CD head unit. I ended up buying a unit like talked about above that hooks up in the trunk to the CD changer input and pretends to be the changer. It's a PIE brand one, I think. Cost something like $40. I had a GROM audio one, but it squealed all the time so I returned it. I've had the one I've got for about four years now and it works pretty good. I had to run several feet of shielded cable from the trunk up to the front, but was easily able to hide it all under the seats and tuck it under trim. Only issue I have is that it seems to pick up some of the digital signal sent around when other devices talk to the head unit (sounds like faint Morse code). You don't really notice it unless the input volume is really low and you have to crank the volume up at the head unit. What I need to do is take it apart again and see about grounding it better or something.

I think you should go with a DICE box and get a Bluetooth one. I ended up adding a Bluetooth transceiver later, but I kind of wish I went that way to begin with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts