BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bimmer Buerto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 BMW 330Ci convertible, and starting today, the top won't go down. When I push the button to lower the top the orange indicator light on te switch comes on and nothing else happens. I haven't had any issues with the top before, but it has been about 2 months since I've had it down due to rain and low temps.

The trunk is empty, so no issues with blockage, but I did notice this appears misaligned but I am unsure if it's related to the convertible top issue I'm having:

Alternate link to the images:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=109775&id=1110759943&l=011e5e2d5d

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gernerally its the Trunck expansion lever. Happened to me just today. first day of sunshne in a while here in the Napa Valley, I push the button, nothing happens. Then I remeber that I put up the trunck expansion to take my daughter to the airport last week!
Problem solved!!

·
Noone Special
673 Posts
that piece is not related to the top going up and down. But the trunk divider will have to be down. It will also have to be above 37 degrees out for the top to work.

·
Bimmer Buerto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
w00t!

Thanks for the replies guys, got it working. Feel dumb now, the trunk extention was just in the wrong position. Still, I would have felt far more dumb if I had ended up taking it to a BMW shop to get it 'fixed' ;-) Thanks!

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, got it working. Feel dumb now, the trunk extention was just in the wrong position. Still, I would have felt far more dumb if I had ended up taking it to a BMW shop to get it 'fixed' ;-) Thanks!
Don't feel bad. I did the same thing a couple of years ago. You are just not in summer mode yet!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well Mine is still not working. I'm not sure what the problem is. Does anyone have a list of common issue with these tops so I can trouble shoot??
Cheers

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
Well Mine is still not working. I'm not sure what the problem is. Does anyone have a list of common issue with these tops so I can trouble shoot??
Cheers
Go to E46fanatics.com and check the convertible forum. More info than you want to know.

·
NyceBMW
5 Posts
Top Light flashes

I bought a used 2005 3 series convertible today and the top light is flashing

Tried to lower the top - no luck. Checked the trunk and the storage bin appears to be in the correct position. Anyone have a suggestion of what else to check.

I did notice the cap for the allen wrench hole in the roof is missing and the allen screw is tight. Does this need to be fully released to put the top down or doesn't it matter? I figure if it has been manually closed it is because the top motor is shot. Don't get any noise from the motor.

Advice appreciated. Bob

·
NyceBMW
5 Posts
Repair shops, Allentown, PA

Does anyone know if there are legitimate repair shops other than the dealer in Allentown, PA.? Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
330 ci top wont go down

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU bimmerfest. It was the trunk expansion lever and you probably saved me a few hundred $$$ at the dealer, plus car rental, plus time, aggravation, etc. My repair shop is VERY impressed.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys,
Longtime reader, First time member, and posting. Be kind, I have a 2005 BMW 330Ci Convertible that just popped also. I mean I heard a mechanical "pop" noise when I dropped the top at a church drive-through function. The top did go down all the way, BUT when I tried to close the top with the center console button, it stopped a few inches from the windshield with the blinking dreaded Red/Orange LED Light while the windows activated. The left/Driver side latch was fully engaged in the Closed Position to secure the top to the windshield while the Right/Passengers Side Latch was in the Open Position and not moving at all.
I tried the Allen Wrench thing in the Center Windshield and the Latches moved just before hearing a distinctive "Pop" and some part on both sides breaking free and falling out in the Upper Windshield cavity between the Right and Left Latches that the latches are located.
I lifted the Left/Passengers Side Top material and observed the Rail nut had a fresh deep scratch from impacting something like the side rail.
Get worsts. I also did the Allan Wrench on the motor under the rear seat. No movement from Latches or the actual Convertible top opening or closing. I have noticed a huge resistance as I cranked on the Allen Wrench while pushing down the Security Button. I read you can press the button and simply push the top down, but that did not work either.
We drove home very very slowly.
Is everyone consensus that the plastic nylons in the motor under the rear seat, the plastic nylon in the Latches are also broken, and the windshield latch Allen key would tighten but not move the latches one way or the other.
I will dig into it tomorrow morning Eastern time.
Question:
1) Has anyone repaired the Plastic Nylon Parts in these motors?
2) If so, what were the part number, name, cost, and site ordered from?
3) Does anyone have pictures of these inferior Plastic Nylon Parts or links to any site to see the repair?
5) I think with the work involved and the cost of the repair kit, it would be more cost-effective to replace a complete motor. Let me know, please...

Thanks in advance and any help a blessing. Stay Safe and tinkering and sharing bimmer advice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts