BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 525I Oxygen Sensor Replacement

2001 525I - (Second post spelling out the entire word) Looking for some help in replacing my pre-cat oxygen sensors. One seem to be easily accessed, but the one close to the cowl seems rather difficult to remove, no space. Anyone has any ideas?

Attachments

·
Run Far
367 Posts
You must not be using an O2 sensor tool. It's a special socket that allows you to use extensions and a ratchet instead of a box wrench . . about 10 bucks at any auto parts store. Looks like this:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did mine a while back. If you go to Autozone, they'll let you borrow one for 24 hours at no charge. It's a little trickier with the 525 so take your time. It was a PITA to get to one of the sensors because everything else was in the way but it's doable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much. I did it this weekend. Got the tool with an extension and was able to replace the pre-cats. Left the post-cat for later.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did mine this weekend too!! Pretty easy job w/ the tool from Autozone. Took a short drive and my mileage seemed better. Not totally sure but, still glad I replaced them..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts