BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Newbie here. I was changing my oil today and noticed an issue with the OEM oil filter that I got from BMW (part number 11 42 7 512 300). So the old filter that was put in was a Purolator (part number L25247). The OEM filter is probably 1/8 to 1/4 inch bigger in diameter and about 1/2 inch taller. In screwing the new OEM filter in, I noticed that the added height seemed to make it much harder to screw in. I finally did manage to screw it in all the way, keeping the torque below 18 ft-lb, but I'm pretty sure that the filter's pretty twisted up and compressed in there.

Now looking at a few parts websites, both part numbers appear to be correct. :confused: I followed Hayaku's thorough DIY guide for changing the oil on the X5. (Very helpful, thanks much)

http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x5/engine-transmission/9479-oil-change-diy-bmw-x5-3-0i.html

The photos of the inside of the oil filter compartment seems slightly different from mine. Mine appears to have a flat 'ring plate' on the bottom that probably acts as the holder for the filter whereas Hayaku's X5 did not. There's a similar plate on the oil filter compartment cap.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks much in advance!

Chewy

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
resolved

Hi all,

after a trip to the dealership, it was suggested that maybe the Purolator filter came with adapters that were left in the filter compartment when it was pulled out. After going back in, that indeed was the case. It took some jimmying to get the adapters out of the canister and the cap. Now the filter (a new uncrushed OEM filter) fits just fine and there's no forcing anything in. Consider it a $12.50 lesson (price of the filter)... :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.