BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner here and new to BMWs. I just recently bought a 2001 X5 4.4i that needs some work (I buy the parts, and my husband installs them for me). I've been searching all the forums and utilizing all the tools online to try to figure out some of the part numbers I need to order. The one thing that is really stumping me are the external/side mirrors. Ideally, I'd like to replace both driver and passenger side, but at a minimum I need to replace the passenger side mirror completely. The auto adjust, etc. doesn't work any longer and the mirror is fogged and basically unusable.

Based on all the info I've found it looks like I have these options:
- Auto dimming (verified the sensor on the interior mirror)
- Memory
- Power glass
- Heated
- Puddle Light

VIN: LH09066

Can someone help me verify what part numbers I should be targeting? It seems like anything I find has some or most of the features I need, but not all. I might just be wrong in certain features I think I have.

Thanks in advance!

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Porando! I was having issues understanding my options at realoem.com. It looks like they give all the options, but I probably just need to learn how to read the information a bit better.

Greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
How did you figure mirror type from the vin LH32132
By inputting the OP's VIN into the VIN decdoder (at the link provided above).

Once the VIN is decoded...it will list all the options the vehicle has...and in this case the OP has the option below:

430 INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE

So with this info above...you can see that they have option S430a...which means they have the EC (auto dimming) side view mirrors...and this is the info you find in the supplemental column to determine which diagram or part nbr you need when there are multiple choices based on various options. The sport pkg option was NOT listed...so in the part database...you do NOT want to select the part nbr where it has "330a yes" listed...or the high gloss shadow line option "760a yes" listed :)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Wonder if I can buy just the side mirror folding motor with internal gears? It's a 2005 4.4i with N62 and face lift model
Unfortunately not... Been there, done that. They failed for one of the two issues - gears strip or metal housing break. any of this will cause gear skipping.
BMW is not listing motor as separate PN.

Buy used mirror from junkyard was not an option - Hard to buy exact and guaranteed fit and they are asking ~ 80% of new housing/motor.

There are couple guys - one i Turkey and one in China who offer motor components (gears and housing) so you can rebuild and I attempted to do that (I have skills and you need it to do this) though quality of parts were really bad so not worth the effort.

I bought the mirror motor assembly (~$350) and swapped glass and back cover from old one.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Thanks silver, but mine says nothing about mirrors LH32132
Go to realoem side and check each of the options if you have or not..
In your case - you have
330 - sport package
and 459 - memory (includes mirror position)
but no 760

So there is PN for this combo
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FB33-USA-12-2001-E53-BMW-X5_44i&diagId=51_3937

For vehicles with
Sports package
and
Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
and
High gloss shadow line
P330A=Yes

S459A=Yes

S760A=No
01 Exterior mirror, no lens, heated, left GLANZSCHWARZ 1 51167039913 $371.53
01 Outside mirror w/out glass heated right GLANZSCHWARZ 1 51167039914 $371.53

·
Registered
661 Posts
You know you can just replace the mirrors and not the entire mirror and housing. Replacing the mirror on one side shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts