BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought new tires for my 2001 Z3 2.5i and they're feeling very odd indeed. Compared to my old (OEM) tires the ride is very hard - every surface disturbance is felt! Also much Much MUCH more disturbing, going round bends at speed no longer feels sure
(like on rails as it did). It just feels odd, unsure, almost "disconnected" from the road.

I've never bought new tires before, so I don't know if it's normal for what I bought or I have an installation problem - Costco install, sosupposedly balanced and no undue vibration noticed (apart from the afore mentioned transmission of every bump in the road!). Maybe someone with more experience of tire changes can share some wisdom with a newbie!

I wen't from original
225/50 R16 92V Michelin Radial-X's (not sure exactly which - had "MXM" on them)
to
225/50 ZR16 92Y Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Radial-X's.

Could the "V" -> "Y" rating change make that much difference to the firmness of the ride?
Could the tread pattern of the All Season tires, or the depth and compound of the tread make it feel so very peculiar in cornering?
Maybe they'll wear in, but the OEM tires when new didn't feel like this so I'm doubtful!

This sucks! I buy what I though were good tires, as close as possible to the original and I screw the car completely.

I hope someone can advise, or recommend tires that will give me my Z back!

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
First things first. Have you checked the tire pressure? My experience has been that tire shops leave the tire pressure higher than the manufacturer's specs.

For your tyres (same size on my Roadster) the specs are 29 PSI front and 32 PSI rear. I currently run 32 PSI all around to combat understeer a little.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oxford said:
First things first. Have you checked the tire pressure? My experience has been that tire shops leave the tire pressure higher than the manufacturer's specs.

For your tyres (same size on my Roadster) the specs are 29 PSI front and 32 PSI rear. I currently run 32 PSI all around to combat understeer a little.
Spot on oxford!
I checked yesterday, found them to be about 3.5 pounds over all round.
Dropped them to 29/32 which mitigated the harsh ride a littlebit, but didn't affect the horrible cornering.
I'm gonna give them a few more days (about 450miles) and then, if they don't behave better, see how I can lose them (Assuming I'm not a smear on a freeway interchange by then!)

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Tires take a few hundred miles or so to scrub in. Until then, they will skate a little bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sands said:
Tires take a few hundred miles or so to scrub in. Until then, they will skate a little bit.
Sounds good.
After all, if they don't work out, at least I get a beer volcano and a stripper factory
Ramen Brother!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced my original tires with some Michelin Pilot Sports I got from Costco and they are terrible!! They won't keep their tire pressure and I've had to had them refilled about 4 times in 3 months. I'm about to get Toyo T1-R tires. Only about $75 more for all 4 tires, so totally worth it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Fantastic49 said:
I just replaced my original tires with some Michelin Pilot Sports I got from Costco and they are terrible!! They won't keep their tire pressure and I've had to had them refilled about 4 times in 3 months. I'm about to get Toyo T1-R tires. Only about $75 more for all 4 tires, so totally worth it.
I have the same tires and havent had any problems at all. Had them installed last october. Maybe they damaged your beads or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts