BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been a BMW owner, but that is about to change in the next 2 weeks or so. What I would like to do is to tap this boards collective Bimmer wisdom... I'm posting this in the E46 forum but am hoping for an objective reply. These are the cars.

2002 330Ci $26,000 - 41,000 miles - manual - Sport package

2000 540i $25,000 - 52,000 miles - manual - Sport Package - Nav - Upgrades: MTech front and rear bumper, 2001 OEM clear lights (I also know the owner personally, no wrecks, no hot rodding, maintained very well.

Any and all opinions will be greatly appeciated.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
No experience on the 540i or the 330i (I have a 325 iT) but considering the prices are similar, the milage is reasonable on the 540 and the fact that you have a much better idea of the history of the vehicle - the objective factors would put me in the 540i. Assuming you know little to nothing about hte 3ers history, the only reasons to consider it would be if gas milage/maintenance/insurance are a big a concern (even then the differences are probably small) or if the 3er still had a significant warranty (CPO or extended warranty).

I would also compare some of the typical repair/maintenance issues of the 540 to the 330. Based on Roundel Tech Talk, the 540's clutch is a weak point.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Two very different cars IMHO. The 330Ci being far smaller and more tossable than a 540i. For highway cruising a 540i is sweet. I'd chose based on what your needs for a car size and transporting people are.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nogoodnicksleft said:
I've never been a BMW owner, but that is about to change in the next 2 weeks or so. What I would like to do is to tap this boards collective Bimmer wisdom... I'm posting this in the E46 forum but am hoping for an objective reply. These are the cars.

2000 540i $25,000 - 52,000 miles - manual - Sport Package - Nav - Upgrades: MTech front and rear bumper, 2001 OEM clear lights (I also know the owner personally, no wrecks, no hot rodding, maintained very well.

540i all the way. The best looking BMW with power engine.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Wow, two very different cars. Given the data that you provided, or lack thereof, I would chose the 540. I say that with reservation, because you didn't provide any insight about what you are looking for in a car. If you need room to move 4 people comfortably on a fairly regular basis, the sedan is a more logical choice, and with it's larger engine will move the occupants more quickly than a 3 liter engine can. If you transport more than 2 people only on rare occasions a coupe could work very well for you. The 330 holds as many passengers as the 540, but not as comfortably. If it's usually only you, or you and one passenger, and you like a sporty, light, nimble car, the 330 would make more sense. Two very different cars, and both are very good cars, but you need to decide based on how you will be using it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
540 beyond a shadow of any doubt...

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
Nogoodnicksleft said:

Either way, with those two choices & options you can't lose. If I didn't need the room and 4 doors I would go with the 330Ci, otherwise I would go with the 540i. I could be very happy with either one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts