BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what would cause the sliding/tilt sunroof to just stop working? When I press the button or push it back or forward to either tilt up or slide it open/close.. nothing, no movement that is. I do hear a brief "electrical" clicking noise when I use the button. I checked the fuses, nothing is blown out there. Any suggestions before I head to the dealer and spend my life savings? Help?!?!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Does anyone know what would cause the sliding/tilt sunroof to just stop working? When I press the button or push it back or forward to either tilt up or slide it open/close.. nothing, no movement that is. I do hear a brief "electrical" clicking noise when I use the button. I checked the fuses, nothing is blown out there. Any suggestions before I head to the dealer and spend my life savings? Help?!?!
If you need a used one I have seen a bunch on E46fanatics and you can probably get an indy mechanic to put it in for you....

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would love to know what came of this because my car is doing the exact same thing now. I can manually crank it so the track seems ok, but when you press the button it just clicks and nothing happens. Anyone have this problem that has gotten it fixed? Thanks

·
Cogito Ergo Zoom
3,579 Posts
You can try resetting the switch. Push the switch up, as if you're going to tilt open the sunroof, and hold the button up for about a half a minute or so. You should eventually hear an electrical "cycling" sound. Let go of the switch. If it has worked you can now operate your sunroof normally.

·
Cogito Ergo Zoom
3,579 Posts
I just tried that a few times with no success. All you hear is a click coming from the motor once and nothing happens after that.
That's a bummer. It worked once for me when my sunroof wouldn't operate properly. Guess your problem is more expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You need to lube tracks there screws on inside of glass remove and pull glass out or if your sunroofs open spray tracks with lube my started doing this and I sprayed lube on the tracks and it stopped may take awhile for lube to soak into the right spot to loosen but works! just look at inside of sunroof it has like pegs that ride in groove spray that groove and it will work it way to the back spray till it stops clicking noise spray from time to time to get out dirt/grime that stops movement !

·
Registered
631 Posts
Most common problem is jammed plastic sliders between tracks and sunshade. Try to move sunshade manually to open, to back direction of the car. if it's not move or hardly moving, you have a jam. Try to inspect removing sunroof glass. Use DIY in the wiki. Lubricating is not help in this case.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
My sunroof is still working but is barely limping. Every time I open it, it seems to go slower and slower, almost threatening to stall, with some kind of grinding noise. Because of this I've stopped using the sunroof altogether. I plan to get it looked at the next time I take it in for a service. Is it expensive to fix? I had to some work done on it while it was under warranty (some problem with the guides, IIRC) and this sounds very similar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That damn dime

2002 330xi... So, I was cleaning out the car, and found some change.. I set it on the roof of the car... The next day, I went for a drive, and before I left, I opened the sunroof.. Well, plop plop... Now the sunroof will not close. Well, I can get it most of the way closed.. Thing is, I cannot SEE the change in there to reach it. If I could get a half inch of clearence, I could get a hemostat in there and get it out.. My girlfriend, (born and raised in Berlin, go figure), said that it could only happen to me.. LOL

Little help?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
You should take the glass out and give some room. Read the e46 wiki for more. It's 4 torx bolts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.