BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing two issues with my 2002 525i. The first issue is the display for the remaining distance [regarding the fuel] readout on my dashboard somehow has been changed to kilometers instead of miles. Does anyone know how to change this back to [miles]? And the second issue is that when I am driving down the road, There is a roar coming from the drivers side front area. When I turn the wheel slightly to the right at speed, it stops. When I am heading straight again, It continues to roar. It does not do this when the car is stopped, And it gets louder the faster you travel.

·
Registered
659 Posts
1. Check your owners manual on how to "reset." I forget how it's done, should be a multi - button push sequence. Should also indicate your temperature in C instead of F. If all else fails pull your negative cable, wait 15 seconds, then re-install it.

2. My best guess is tires. Probably un-even wear, I would get a check done on the tires (a good tire guy will tell this in seconds of driving). Then you probably need an alignment.

3. Welcome - nice car - I'm partial of course!

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the advice. Those were two of the answers that I had also. The front tires are starting to "feather" on the inside tread, I know that is an alignment issue. I will replace the tires and have an alignment done. Hopefully I do not have any issues with the bearings. I jacked up the left front wheel and try to see if it has any play in it. It seemed fine. Mabye the tire is the answer. I will have it checked out. Thanks

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The roar might be caused by a bad wheel bearing.
I finally figured it out. The roaring noise was a bad drivers side front wheel bearing. I replaced it, And it solved the problem. It is sooooo quiet driving down the road now. I just Can't imagine how a wheel bearing can go bad after only 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I finally figured it out. The roaring noise was a bad drivers side front wheel bearing. I replaced it, And it solved the problem. It is sooooo quiet driving down the road now. I just Can't imagine how a wheel bearing can go bad after only 70,000 miles.
Took the words from my mouth! Glad this got sorted out - the "roar" should have tipped off the wheel bearing. When mine went on my 2000 accord, it was literally deffening in the driver's seat, but noticeably less so in the passanger's seat. Odd, I would agree that it went at 70k, my Accord's went at ~195k.

How much did the bearing job set you back, if you don't mind the question?

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well , Tubo 525 , I elected to go the "Do it yourself" route, The local BMW dealer wanted $450.00 to do it. That was $250.00 for the bearing and $200.00 for labor. I paid $150.00 for the OEM bearing. And I replaced it myself. It was pretty easy to do, And it only took about 2.5 hours. I've been doing all of my own mechanic work since I was a teenager. It saves me alot of money.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Nice work! I had an Indi shop do my Accord at around $239 installed - in the process they managed to break a wheel speed sensor, and then expected that I would pay for that repair in full as well ($129).

Needless to say, it's the last time I went to that shop. I am doing more work myself and have frineds who are compotent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.