BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW 530I E39
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2002 530I
Ran a diagnostic test on my car and it said that my Auxiliary Water Pump wasn't working. The good news is that I understand that could be the reason why my heater has not been working.

PROBLEM... where is this pump? I just replaced the Heater Control Valve, and the front hose on that valve goes into the fire wall, and the rear of the valve the top hose also goes into the fire wall, and bottom hose on the back of the valve seem to go up to the top rear of the engine. I can't see where it goes to, but I feel it going up to the rear of the engine somewhere under that cover. I am thinking that I will need to remove the engine cover to get to it, but IS THIS WHERE THE AUXILIARY WATER PUMP IS?

I have looked at videos on Youtube, and they show the auxiliary water pump being connected to the heater control valve.

My heater control valve looks like this:

I appreciate your help!
Thank you,
Stephen

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 121K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,993 Posts
E39 530i apparently has more than one electronic coolant pump called ‘auxiliary’. One for latent heat accumulator and one on the fan shroud.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The Aux water pump is mounted to the bottom of the fan shroud on the driver's side and attached to a hose that runs along the bottom of the fan shroud. Get on the floor, remove splash shield and look up...The aux water pump is black and about the size of your fist...

·
Registered
2002 BMW 530I E39
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
E39 530i apparently has more than one electronic coolant pump called ‘auxiliary’. One for latent heat accumulator and one on the fan shroud.
hmm so that bottom hose that seems to be running to the back of the could be where my auxiliary pump is located? The interesting thing about your M37 first look it looks like only one hose connected to it, however on second look it looks like there is a hose connected to the side. The pump I ordered looks like this:

Hope it works!
And Doug you my friend are Awesome!

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 200 k miles
2,351 Posts
So, which diagnostic tool did find the Auxiliary-water-pump is bad ? And what is the error code ?? Are you sure it is not the heater valve that is blocked or faulty ???

I'd diagnose a problem right, before throwing new replacement parts at it....

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
2002 530I

I have looked at videos on Youtube, and they show the auxiliary water pump being connected to the heater control valve. View attachment 1021232
This is the aux pump and valve assy used on the 540.
The US E39’s did not have a latent heater so there is only one Aux pump.
Chedley, he said he put a new heater valve in.

·
Registered
2002 BMW 530I E39
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, which diagnostic tool did find the Auxiliary-water-pump is bad ? And what is the error code ?? Are you sure it is not the heater valve that is blocked or faulty ???

I'd diagnose a problem right, before throwing new replacement parts at it....
Hey Chedley,
My diagnostic tool is an Autophix 7910. I ran the system scan and the IHKA/IHKR Heater/AC was read, clicked on fault code and it said: 1E Auxiliary Water Pump.

Also, I did replace the heater control valve. I have noticed though that when I open the radiator cap and turn the key on, I don't see that little stream of water going back into it (I saw that on a youtube video), and I don't hear anything from it.

Thank you,
Stephen

·
Nuclear engineer
23,993 Posts
I have noticed though that when I open the radiator cap and turn the key on, I don't see that little stream of water going back into it (I saw that on a youtube video), and I don't hear anything from it.
Why then do you suppose that the Electronic Coolant Pump ECP is running?

·
Registered
2002 BMW 530I E39
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why then do you suppose that the ECP is running?
Hey Doug, help me out!
I saw a video about the cooling system, and on the video he turned the key on and there was a stream of water across the opening of the radiator. I have only owned this BMW for a year, so still learning. The ECP is that a thermostat? I did replace the main thermostat and the sensor on the water hose.

Let me know!
Thank you
Stephen

·
Nuclear engineer
23,993 Posts
Hey Doug, help me out!
I saw a video about the cooling system, and on the video he turned the key on and there was a stream of water across the opening of the radiator. I have only owned this BMW for a year, so still learning. The ECP is that a thermostat? I did replace the main thermostat and the sensor on the water hose.

Let me know!
Thank you
Stephen
Electronic Coolant Pump, the Auxiliary pump.

·
Registered
2002 BMW 530I E39
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Electronic Coolant Pump, the Auxiliary pump.
Okay Doug gotcha. I have turned the key on, and listened and didn't hear anything from the pump, and held it and didn't feel anything. When is the best time for me to hear it working or feel it working if it was working? And isn't it true that it pumps water into the reservoir?

·
Nuclear engineer
23,993 Posts
I have no idea. I know that ECP are fragile and have peculiar handling and operating requirements. If you installed a new ECP and did not properly fill it, did not properly hand turn it, and did not run the ISTA initialization protocol then it is probably ruined corroded solid. Or not YMMV

·
Registered
2002 BMW 530I E39
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no idea. I know that ECP are fragile and have peculiar handling and operating requirements. If you installed a new ECP and did not properly fill it, did not properly hand turn it, and did not run the ISTA initialization protocol then it is probably ruined corroded solid. Or not YMMV
WOW Doug! I ordered a new pump and was thinking that I would just replace the old one. Properly fill it? Does that mean to bleed the line correctly?

Hand turn it? Lost me on that one :cool:
ISTA protocol, is that something I need to do when I install it?

I hate sounding so ignorant Doug, and man I really appreciate your taking time to help me out. If you were in my area I would take you to steak dinner!

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 200 k miles
2,351 Posts
So, OP...
After installing the new auxiliary pump (ECP) and new heater control valve, did you properly refill and bleed the cooling system ?? You should...

And no, there is no ISTA or INPA protocol coding needed for the auxiliary pump. That may be required only if you replace the IHKA control module.

·
Nuclear engineer
23,993 Posts
So, OP...
After installing the new auxiliary pump (ECP) and new heater control valve, did you properly refill and bleed the cooling system ?? You should...

And no, there is no ISTA or INPA protocol coding needed for the auxiliary pump. That may be required only if you replace the IHKA control module.
No. The starting torque of an Brush-Less DC BLDC motor that is the ECP will not break free of the corrosion from last handing to starting. There is a high starting torque protocol ...

·
Wingnut
5,494 Posts
with an e39 I6 engine (as yours is), when turning the ignition to pos 2, you should always see a stream of coolant going in to the expansion tank, hear the pump running, and be able to feel a vibration from it. that youre not seeing/hearing/feeling what you should be, that indicates that the pump isnt running, and that your scanner read correctly. quite probably the cause of your heating prob as well.
when installing the pump on an e39 I6, all you need to do it loosen it, disconnect the electrical and the 2 hoses, remove the old pump, and reverse the procedure to install. then switch the ign to pos 2 and you should hear/feel it running and see the stream going in to the exp tank once it fully primes. then proceed with the normal bleeding procedure for the I6, its a very simple procedure. no ISTA, prefilling, hand turning needed. in the e39 world, its called an auxiliary water pump, just to clarify.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
As shown above, I think the Aux water pump is a sealed unit... Elec connector and two ports. If you buy a new one, which is what I think OP is doing, It should work when you plug it in and turn key to on...

OP, get your new Aux water pump, install it, use it to bleed the system (unless you want to Vacuum bleed - calling Doug Huffman....) and report back with results.

·
Registered
2002 BMW 530I E39
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, OP...

Hello Chedley,
I haven't installed the new pump yet, but I did properly bleed the system after iinstalling the heater control valve.

Appreciate your time!
Stephen

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.