Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to diagnose a stiff steering issue and have narrowed it down to the u-joint on the intermediate shaft. Does anyone have a part number for this or know the size of the u-joint to replace? I've searched all over with very little to no success. Also seems like everyone refers to this part differently, as far as what it's called, which has made searches difficult.

Thanks in advance.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,813 Posts
Try realoem.com. They have all the part diagrams with part nimbers so you'll know it is right from the picture.

Edit: forgot to mention, E39 is listed in the classic group.

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Trying to diagnose a stiff steering issue and have narrowed it down to the u-joint on the intermediate shaft. Does anyone have a part number for this or know the size of the u-joint to replace? I've searched all over with very little to no success. Also seems like everyone refers to this part differently, as far as what it's called, which has made searches difficult.

Thanks in advance.
I think the U-joint is probably part of the shaft, not separate.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DT53-USA-06-2002-E39-BMW-530i&diagId=32_0724

Try spraying some lubricant on it. Some folks have found success with that. If the e39 or car is new to you, bear in mind these typically have stiffer steering feel than many others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, you guys are awesome. I had actually looked at that website before posting but couldn't find E39 in the menu at all for some reason.

I was afraid they might be a complete unit but was hoping someone had tried to replace it separately. I'll try the lube, hopefully that can help until the part comes.

Appreciate the help!

Oh, and I'm aware they're known to have stiffer steering but there is a very distinct issue. Originally I thought it was the power steering pump but was able to see movement in the reservoir so I put it in the air and found that it appeared to have been replaced, as well as the steering rack. My best guess is that the previous owner was chasing the problem unsuccessfully (hence my acquiring it). After some more digging I finally got to inspecting the intermediate shaft and noticed it was binding up.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
....I had actually looked at that website before posting but couldn't find E39 in the menu at all for some reason......
Yeah on realoem.com the e39 is now in the "classic" section, an indication of oooolllllddddd.

Let us know what you find out and how you fix it.

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts
Ah, you guys are awesome. I had actually looked at that website before posting but couldn't find E39 in the menu at all for some reason.

I was afraid they might be a complete unit but was hoping someone had tried to replace it separately. I'll try the lube, hopefully that can help until the part comes.

Appreciate the help!

Oh, and I'm aware they're known to have stiffer steering but there is a very distinct issue. Originally I thought it was the power steering pump but was able to see movement in the reservoir so I put it in the air and found that it appeared to have been replaced, as well as the steering rack. My best guess is that the previous owner was chasing the problem unsuccessfully (hence my acquiring it). After some more digging I finally got to inspecting the intermediate shaft and noticed it was binding up.
Well done on the diagnostic side. All wheel drive E46s have a similar issue, as they have a double u-jointed steering column prone to binding with age.

·
Registered
347 Posts

I REALLY have to find my spare, those are expensive.

I used a lot of grease on mine and my son's 99 and it has helped both of them. I greased mine a few months ago, so far so good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts