BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there So I am new to a Beemer and honestly very frustrated! I have an 02 540i 120k miles. Already had to replace coil then literally just had to do alternator literally 2 days ago. Finally got it going. First day driving now check engine light on says cam shaft sensor bank A. What the heck and suggestions on why or where to go now. Please help!!!!

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our E39 5 Series forum, you'll get more help in here. Sounds like a bunch of bad luck to me but maybe someone else will have a different opinion.

Tim

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well it is a 14 year old car, things are going to break and need to be replaced. If you expected worry free ownership, you will be disappointed. Not trying to be rude or judging, but what brought you to the point of buying the car, did you do any research beforehand or get a ppi? These cars are fantastic to drive and can go forever, but they do require more attention to maintainence than your average honda. And you are going to catch some crap for using Beemer. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No car is perfect trust me I know! Have always wanted one they are great cars i know that. It is literally one thing after the next is all I was saying. Someone said that may need to reset computer is all I was asking. If it's common for back to back issues!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would ask what symptoms were you having with the coil, any symptoms with the cps? What codes are there? Sometimes its just the way things go, all at once. It is at the mileage where a lot of things tend to creep up. Unfortunately you are entering the time for timing chain guides, valley pan, cooling system, and suspension overhaul. Do you know the history of the car? Any records? This forum is a great source of help, unfortunately some people buy these cars for the badge and really dont know anything about them or what they need. And then bash the cars for being unreliable and money pits. I am not saying this is you at all, just wish more people were aware of what they are getting into so they dont think they are buying a honda or toyota.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the car was completely well taken car of have all paperwork on it. The coil is good had that replaced. It was just sputtering no more since fixed. Just had the alternator replaced. the code it's throwing now is p0348 bank 2. It is driving perfectly fine so hesitation at all full power.

·
Registered
352 Posts
With a Cam sensor error you need to be careful that you're dealing with a failed sensor and not a vanos problem. The diagnostics probably involve reading the sensor and comparing it to baselines for changing or the other sensor. If you're not up for getting a scantool/app to do that or paying an Indy to do it, I'd probably replace the cam sensor and see if that solves the problem.

Given that the alternator was just serviced, it might be with a few minutes to inspect the work - might be an unconnected or damaged wire. I think bank 2 is the same side as the Alt.

Being well taken care of is good, but you're into the wear range on this vehicle and the things you've encountered (alternator, coils) are typical, along with the things described by others. Suspension, fuel pump, valve cover and upper timing cover oil leaks, valley pan and the entire cooling system, etc. You should be prepared to pay heavily if you're getting this serviced by a shop, or invest time and effort into repairs yourself. Including a few specialty tools (lots of fasteners are actually ribe) and a good code reader/setup (Creator 310, INPA + cable, that sort of thing).

You're right, these cars are amazing to drive... and actually not terribly hard to work on, but they command easily 5x as much maintenance attention as a more mundane car, and that's why they're selling at a discount.

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts