BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2002 745Li and I keep getting misfires on cylinder 1 & 5. I have replaced plugs and swapped coils. This has not solved anything. Same codes. I have read that it could be a VVT issue or possible cam replacement. Any help/suggestions would be great. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
I just picked up a 2002 745Li and I keep getting misfires on cylinder 1 & 5. I have replaced plugs and swapped coils. This has not solved anything. Same codes. I have read that it could be a VVT issue or possible cam replacement. Any help/suggestions would be great. Thanks
Did you swap the coils, or replace them? If you replaced them, I would suspect a clogged fuel injector, or some type of fuel problem. Did you get any codes?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for both of the replies. So I forgot to say that I have already swapped the injectors. However I have not tried to reset the values. I have the gt1 so I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for your help and I will let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for both of the replies. So I forgot to say that I have already swapped the injectors. However I have not tried to reset the values. I have the gt1 so I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for your help and I will let you guys know what happens.
Get new coils first, and check if there is oil on spark plugs

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I would say oil on the plugs. I had a miss fire also now I don't. Change the plugs and clean the coil off well replace what is worn inspect all your seals. G.L

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coils and plugs

I checked the coils and plugs. Seals and valve cover are clean. No oil leaking in. Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Missfire 1-5

HELLO
DID YOU CHANGE THE O RINGS, THAT MIGHT DO IT,
I HAD MISSFIRE # 4, CHANGED ALL RINGS ///GONE
WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM A FRIEND herbP

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
Herb, What o-rings are you referring to? no oil leaking in the spark plug tubes. Thanks
I think mustoboy was referring to the injector o-rings. There are 2 on each injector. If they are cracked from heat, they could be sucking air. I would not reprogram the DME for this problem. Have you drilled down on the DME in DIS for troubleshooting steps. Another problem could be contamination from oil on the injector or COP plugs. Clean the connectors good with contact cleaner, & apply some Die-electric grease to the connectors. With misfires on cylinders 1 & 5, it is something in common on the front of the motor. A vacuum leak on the 2 vent lines could possibly cause that problem. Start using DIS to find the problem. You might not understand everything the 1st time, but you will start to see a pattern that makes since. I just came within 30 miles on your location today. If I had seen this earlier, I would have tried to stop by and help!

Good Luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts