BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little advice here. I have a 2002 330i and experiencing a rhythmic thumping noise and slight vibration coming from right front wheel at speeds between 5 and 25 MPH. The frequency of the thumping is proportional to the speed of the car so it appears to be a dynamic component of the drive train. It doesn’t matter if I am braking, accelerating, clutch in or out. Above 25 MPH the noise and vibrations smooth out. It sounds as if the wheel is not balanced and there is a flat spot on the tire but at speeds above 25 mph it is smooth. The wheels are balanced (at least for highway speeds). Could the wheel be out of balance for speeds between 5-25 mph yet be balanced at highway speeds? Or is there something else in the driving train or suspension of the right front wheel going bad? I have ruled out the wheel bearing since it is fine at highway speeds. Also ruled out the brake rotor. What else is there? Anyone else experience this?

· Registered
209 Posts
It sounds like you might have a tire with a seperated belt. Feel the tread all around and feel for a lump or raised area.

· Registered
944 Posts
I've seen this before, as as [email protected] mentions above, you could have a tire with a broken belt. Jack that tire off the ground, and then spin it by hand. Catch a glimpse of the edge of the tire against some sunlit surface, and watch as the tire goes around. There could be a true flat spot, or something separated inside the tire. And, take a quick look at the tire to make sure there isn't just a rock wedged into one of the treads. That noise can drive you nuts until you take a screwdriver and pop that rock out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.